cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and Disadvantages of AOFO

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Can someone tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of using AOFO. Whether general or detailed description, just want to know what advantage do i get when using AOFO and what disadvantage when using it. Also I want to know when should you use AOFO?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When doing normal file backups, AOFO is a must. It will back up the file even if it is in use (and NOT on the Backup Exec Active File Exclusion list...like *.edb for instance). You need this selected otherwise you face likely backup job failures when BE cannot access, and back up files like *.doc for example.

That's the major advantage to it.

the disadvantage? If you use AOFO with databases (eg. SQL/Exchange), you run the risk of being in a position where you cannot do a redirected restore of an SQL DB to another server, or Exchange logs not clearing for example. For this reason it is advised not to use AOFO when backing up databases.

If you were backing up databases and normal data, the recommendation is to split your jobs...assign the data job to use AOFO, and deselect it for any databases.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

When doing normal file backups, AOFO is a must. It will back up the file even if it is in use (and NOT on the Backup Exec Active File Exclusion list...like *.edb for instance). You need this selected otherwise you face likely backup job failures when BE cannot access, and back up files like *.doc for example.

That's the major advantage to it.

the disadvantage? If you use AOFO with databases (eg. SQL/Exchange), you run the risk of being in a position where you cannot do a redirected restore of an SQL DB to another server, or Exchange logs not clearing for example. For this reason it is advised not to use AOFO when backing up databases.

If you were backing up databases and normal data, the recommendation is to split your jobs...assign the data job to use AOFO, and deselect it for any databases.

Thanks!

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Craig,

Thank you very much for the inputs. Just want to know if these are the primary advantage and disadvantage of using AOFO? And do you have a supporting documents or knowledge base refering to the advantage and disadvantage of using AOFO.

Again thanks for this, indeed very very helpful! 

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Is there anything else that you can add up or is this just the primary advantage and disadvantage of using AOFO?

Regards,

Onins

Onins
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Gregmfg,

Thank you very much for this. I learned a lot from the article.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check point restart is not supported while using AOFO.

CraigV

...the main and most important advantage is that it will allow the system to back up open files with/without a lock. This means no job failures due to this as a result... :)