cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on Exchange 2007 longterm archive

Mark532010
Level 2

Due to legal requirements we need to store our exchange data for 7 years. In addition to the normal nightly/weekly backups I need to create a monthly backup that we can keep for years.

Currently when I look at the exchange server, the "Exchange Store" folder on disk is 264gb. When I perform a full backup of just the Information Store in BE2012 it ends up being almost 900gb - I'm assuming this is due to the creation of the index (tens of thousands of emails, etc.)

Since this is a special backup for legal purposes, the requirement for instant indexing isn't there and in all probability if we ever need to pull up the data we would build a new server and restore onto it - so I don't really need the index.

Is there a way to back up just the data without generating the index?    264gb x 12 = 3tb per year as it is, keeping 900gb per month is prohibitive.

Mark Butler

Lynden Public Schools

2 REPLIES 2

Mark532010
Level 2

I forgot to mention that I have tried file-only backups but the 260gb .edb file is always marked as in-use and can't be backed up

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you considered using either the Archive option or EV which is a seperate Symantec product?