cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After IDR system reboots but no Windows

Scott_McDougal
Level 2
   OK, I inherited the role of the IT guy, more out of I'm working for the compay and the contractor wasn't gettign anything done.  Now the issue that I have is I installed Backup Exec 11d on my Windows SBS 2003 server and everything went fine.  I did a full backup and didn't get any error messages that worried me.  I then decided I was going to test the IDR functionality.  I created the boot cd did a full backup and said, HERE GOES NOTHING.  I put in the CD and the IDR went smoothly, didn't have any blatant errors, I didn't have it re-install the Utility partition as I knew that would only cause problems.  Everything seemed to go fine until I rebooted it.  Windows appears to start normally but the cursor comes up, as does a sceen with the IDR background image.  I'm stuck here and the Indian support folks can only say, do a manual restore, which I would really like to avoid.  I have the log file if you need it. PLEASE HELP!
3 REPLIES 3

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
As rediculous as it sounds, the advice you've been given is as good as it gets.

I've maintained since its introduction that there's nothing very intelligent about IDR, and it's situations like that that we see why.

The manual process, in my testing, doesn't take any longer. IDR in fact, is basically a wizard which guides you through it.

If you've inherited this role, you will learn a lot more about it by doing a manual restore. Then update your documentation, stating that you'll always do it that way in future. You'll never have another restore issue.

Scott_McDougal
Level 2
By the manual restore, you mean the reinstalling windows then restoring right?

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if your original system had a Utility Partition, you MUST create one either during the restore, or before you start

When Windows counts partitions to dertermine where the Boot Files are, it counts them all, whether they are Windows partitions or not

But I agree with Joshua - IDR is not worth the money.  It does NOTHING that you would not do, takes exactly the same amount of time, and hides everything behind a wizard.  And if you can't do a manual recovery in the first place, why are you responsible for doing them at all.