cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Install

Sean_Daniely
Level 4
I am new to Backup Exec (Comming from Commvault Galaxy). In CV Galaxy, I had to install a REMOTE AGENT and an EXCHANGE AGENT on the Exchange Server. This seems a little different in Backup Exec where once I insert the correct Agent license keys during my media server install, the agents installed while on the Media Server (The agents were dark grayed out). When I deployed the REMOTE AGENT to my Exchange Server I did not see a distiction in SQL, SPS or EXCHANGE remote Agents, it just gave me a REMOTE AGENT choice. Does Backup Exec automaticallly deploy the appropraite agents to the server or does the agent reamin on the Media server?
5 REPLIES 5

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Of the SQL, Exchange and Remote agent licenses, the remote agent is the only one which has a physical presense, eg which needs to be installed on the remote server, the other two a purely license keys which need to be entered into the media server to unlock their functionality.

So yes, if you've installed the keys into the media server and push installed the remote agents to your remote servers then everything should be ready to go.

Sean_Daniely
Level 4
Yes, I push installed a remote agent, it did not say Exchange Remote Agent. When looking at my ADD/REMOVE programs on the Exchange Server I have "Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Window Systems", is this correct or should there be a "Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Exchange"?

Thanks - Sean

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes, like I said previously, the Exchange agent is only a license code, not software to be installed on the remote server. The Remote Agent for Windows Systems needs to be installed on every remote server you want to backup, regardless of what you are trying to backup on that particular server. There is no specific remote agent for exchange.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only place you will see any reference to the Exchange (or SQL) license is on the BackupExec media server. All you will see on the database server is the RemoteAgent.

Sean_Daniely
Level 4
OK, thanks all for clarifying this. A bit different the CommVault.