Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent for VMware - Dynamic & Basic Disks

backuphound_2
Level 3
Accredited

Hello!

I have Backup Exec 2012 SP1a installed on W2k3 Std 32bit. We are currently backing up ESXi 4.1 VMs using the Windows Agent installed on each VM. We are thinking of changing to the cheaper model of just using the Agent for VMware.

I have had conflicting information from a Backup Exec 2012 course I have recently been on and our reseller - therefore I was hoping that people with experience of BE2012 Agent for VMware might be able to help.

Can I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Dynamic disks?

Can I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?

Can I backup GRT enabled backups using VMWare Virtual Machine Dynamic disks?

Can I backup GRT enabled backups using VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?

Any other known backup OR restore issues / features regarding this agent would also be appriciated,

Thanks

BH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to the VMware Storage Configuration Compatibility table in the Backup Exec 2012 SCL

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

This table clearly states that Dynamic MBR disks are supported and that any form of GPT disk specifically cannot do GRT.

Whilst not as clear,  these comments and the line referring to Basic, MBR all refer to the type of disk configuration inside the operating system of the virtual machine that is to be backed up. The other entries in the same table refer to the VMware disk configuraton itelf.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can see the support/unsupported status of each type of disk by refering to the SCL.

BE 2012 SCL

If you have other types of disks in the future, like RDM disks, the place to look for their support status is the SCL.

backuphound_2
Level 3
Accredited

Thanks to you both

backuphound_2
Level 3
Accredited

Hi Symantec Employee and Trusted Advisor - but you're both wrong.... according to Symantec!

My engineer re case 03402336 says that these disks are supported. Please see the document http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

Please look under >Backup Exec 2012 Agent for VMware and Hyper-V Compatibility Microsoft Hyper-V Compatibility>VMware Compatibility>VMware Storage Configuration Compatibility

I would really like to know your thoughts.

Its getting to the point where I cant trust either answer and will probably have to install a trial and work it out for myself.

Best rgds

BH

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I've removed the solution in the meantime...you can remark once you get a definitive answer.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually not sure how the TA can be wrong when he pointed you in the direction of the SCL which you have just quoted anyway...?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Going through the SCL for BE 2012 on page no 34 of 54 I see following

GPT              VMDK Support only, No File/Application GRT
Basic            MBR Supported
Dynamic      MBR Supported

Your earlier question & Answers in Verbose  now,

QCan I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Dynamic disks?

Ans

1 Dynamic Disk can be of 2 types on with MBR partiton and other with GPT partition.

2 As per the SCL it only list MBR supported , that means if Dynamic disk is with MBR partition then it support VMDK and GRT backup both

3 If it is GPT then only VMDK support ,NO GRT backup support.

QCan I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?Yes

Please refer above answer

Can I backup GRT enabled backups using VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?Yes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443

Hope that helps

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Going through the SCL for BE 2012 on page no 34 of 54 I see following

GPT              VMDK Support only, No File/Application GRT
Basic            MBR Supported
Dynamic      MBR Supported

Your earlier question & Answers in Verbose  now,

QCan I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Dynamic disks?

Ans

1 Dynamic Disk can be of 2 types on with MBR partiton and other with GPT partition.

2 As per the SCL it only list MBR supported , that means if Dynamic disk is with MBR partition then it support VMDK and GRT backup both

3 If it is GPT then only VMDK support ,NO GRT backup support.

QCan I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?Yes

Please refer above answer

Can I backup GRT enabled backups using VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?Yes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443

Hope that helps

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I did not say that your disks are supported or not.  What I am saying is that the support status of each type of disk is stated in the SCL which is the final authority on support status.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you replacing your earlier answer with your latest answer?  If your previous answer is wrong or insufficient, you should leave it there for reference.  You have already added this answer to the end of the discussion.

If I recall correctly, your previous answer is just yes, no, yes, no to the OPP's questions without any explanations.

backuphound_2
Level 3
Accredited

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this information, it is very much appriciated.

I plan to do some testing over the next few weeks, so I will update you with the results.

BH

King_Julien
Level 5

Can I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Dynamic disks? 

Yes, but at VMWARE level. Not a GRT or filesystem level.  

Can I backup VMWare Virtual Machine Basic disks?

Again, yes you can, at VMWARE level...

No, you can not. You will receive something like:

V-79-57344-38724 - Directory 'E' does not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT).  Granular rest...

Then, what you have to do, is a backup trought RAWS, and backup that VM as phsycal. When I said "VWMARE LEVEL" I mean that you are selecting the server directly from the VCenter, and you are backing up the VMDK. 

When I said "RAWS", I mean that you need to install RAWS on the target server and then select the resources from that virtual server, but not from Vcenter; Like if your are backing up an phsycal server you know, like in the old days :D 

Trust me, I'm almost an engineer. 

Colin_Weaver

Please refer to the VMware Storage Configuration Compatibility table in the Backup Exec 2012 SCL

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

This table clearly states that Dynamic MBR disks are supported and that any form of GPT disk specifically cannot do GRT.

Whilst not as clear,  these comments and the line referring to Basic, MBR all refer to the type of disk configuration inside the operating system of the virtual machine that is to be backed up. The other entries in the same table refer to the VMware disk configuraton itelf.