cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent for VMware

RaulVRTS
Not applicable
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi all - I'm having issues with my VMware backups. Everytime they run I get the following error " Agent for VMware - Incremental 00001-Daily Incremental Backup -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to create a snapshot of the virtual machine. The virtual machine may be too busy to quiesce to take the snapshot. Is this a VSS error on the guest or the host system? Any pointers??? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try pushing out the the remote agent again to the VM.

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I do not think there is much you can do. This error usually means that the vm in question is either overloaded or is running some application that has a lot of memory i/o. By default when the snapshot is taken the memory is also copied. This means that the vm needs to be "quiet" for a few seconds. Often this is not possible and you get the mentioned error. If this is an application server try moving the schedule to a different start time. Otherwise I belive the only option is to take an agent based backup of the specific vm. 

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

First try to take a snapshot from the vcenter, uncheck 'virtual machine's memory' check quiesce guest file.

When this runs correctly, you need to check the Vss Be Provider and folow the technote of uninstalling the VSS Provider VMware.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129864

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

This will be VSS in the guest, not the host. When backing up VMs the VMWare hypervisor calls on the VSS writers in the guest to quiesce the OS in the VM. If the OS is too busy then this can not happen.

JavierTI
Level 5

and realize that truck but the manual shows that I have to delete some files that really never find them??? so far the service copies the default is the BackupExec .. the copy is displayed with exceptions but me and I can not restore???