cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent install failed on Windows 2003 R2 Server

vmiro
Level 2

Hi,

I'm unable to install agent remotely nor directly on Windows 2003 R2 server. Here is the error message:

1-23-2018,14:11:10 : Windows Operating System Version: 5.2 - Domain Controller
+ 11-23-2018,14:11:10 : Failed to get proc address for GetProductInfo. Unable to determine if CORE OS.
11-23-2018,14:11:10 : Checking MSXML6 Version.
11-23-2018,14:11:10 : Minimum required MSXML6 version is: 6.20.2003.0
11-23-2018,14:11:10 : C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml6.dll

Windows has SP2 and latest updates.
Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Miroslav
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

windows 2003 is not supported by BE 20

2008 SP2 is the oldest version of Windows Server that is still supported.

while you could go to an older BE version, as Microsoft no longer supoports 2003 either, you should really consider upgrading your enviropnment  (and as it looks like your AD is also based on 2003 R2 I suspect you may have a lot of servers ourdated  to consider, and may have to replace any 32bit hardware as well)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver

windows 2003 is not supported by BE 20

2008 SP2 is the oldest version of Windows Server that is still supported.

while you could go to an older BE version, as Microsoft no longer supoports 2003 either, you should really consider upgrading your enviropnment  (and as it looks like your AD is also based on 2003 R2 I suspect you may have a lot of servers ourdated  to consider, and may have to replace any 32bit hardware as well)

Thanks for fast reply.

We are working on removing this server from our system, but we wanted to make a backup of the whole system in case saomething goes wrong while migrating to newer OS, ie. other servers.

We're staying on BE 20 ;)

Miroslav

Colin_Weaver

Once you get rid of 2003 then the system state of the server would be kind of useless anyway (as would the AD backup from the 2003 DC) as such I'd suggest: Identify any data files to be copied to another server (and copy them), then switch the server off, but keep it for a few weeks so that you can  power it back up if you missed something.

You could use the unsupported option of installing an agent from backup exec 15 or 14.

Im using version 14.2.1180.3153 and its working fine on my 2003r2 servers.

cheers

We won't have the luxury of removing our Windows 2003 32bit server until later this year. It runs okay with the older BE agent so we'll keep doing that for now. 

In the near future, to stabilize the server, we are migrating the physical to a virtual environment. It will still run the same OS in that bubble, inside a Windows 2016 server. 

How will this affect our ability to back up that VM?  It would seem to me that moving it to a VM will eliminate the BE agent issue. 

We virtualized our Win 2003 R2 server and now we backup it as a virtual machine.