cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent licensing requirements

gh0stwalker
Not applicable

We have purchased both the Active Directory Recovery Agent and the Agent for vmware virtual infrastructure for Backup Exec 2010 R3 to be used to backup our infrastructure. Do these agents allow us to install Remote Agents on the machines covered by these licenses, or do we need to purchase separate Remote Agents for these machines.

In particular I'm looking at using GRT for the virtual machines we will be backing up, but note that the Remote Agent is required to be installed on each virtual machine. Do I need to purchase extra licenses for these virtual machines or because I have the Agent for vmware virtual infrastructure am i just allowed to install the Remote Agent on them?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you purchase a AVVI licence, you are entitled to install RAWS/RALUS on any number of VM's on the physical host that is licenced for the AVVI.  No extra charge.

For GRT of applications like Exchange, SQL Server, etc., you would need to purchase an application licence for each of the VM's

For your single ADRA licence, you can only use it on one machine, physical or virtual.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you purchase a AVVI licence, you are entitled to install RAWS/RALUS on any number of VM's on the physical host that is licenced for the AVVI.  No extra charge.

For GRT of applications like Exchange, SQL Server, etc., you would need to purchase an application licence for each of the VM's

For your single ADRA licence, you can only use it on one machine, physical or virtual.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

AVVI license is per ESX / vSphere host

This will allow you to take the backup of all VMs residing on the respective physical ESX/vSphere host.

It will allow you to restore file / folder from VM backups. However to restore this data to the same VMs requre remote agent needs to be install on the respective VMs.

However there is no need to purchase additional remote agents for this. This applies to RALUS as well as RAWS agents.

Considering your database servers are residing on the VMs e.g. SQL, Oracle, Exchange etc. & you are backing up those VMs. Inthis case if you want to do the online restoration of these databases, you will need to have respective database agents purchased & the agents must be deployed on respective VMs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Aren't you repeating what I have said?