cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent pull install

cxsup
Level 3

I have a few agents traversing non-domain, VPN & ESET barriers. Not a problem with simple rules to handle the default port 10000.  But agent push updates are a nightmare especially when it concerns opening the WMI requirements for the Windows' agents.

It would be helpful if only a one-time installation of the agent was required. Therearfter, the agents have the ability to self-update when required.  ESET offers this type of functionality, and it works very well.  Installing slave BE services for agent updates is not an option.

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The Ideas section disappeared with the move to VOX...wasn't being checked out much in any case and hardly anything was implemented, but it gave people the ability to have their voice heard. Not so here. Your best bet is to PM someone like Colin Weaver or VJware. I would go 1 further as to suggest that the client has the option to select automatic install, or update & wait for install...kind of like Windows updates. Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can do local install of the agent themselves by accessing (or copying)  the AWS installer folder (..\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSnnn\

what you may not have realized is you can usually locally apply patches as well

Upgrade the BE server to latest patches, the go and look in the AWS install folders on this server (make sure you use the 32 or x64 folder as apprioriate) you should find a subfolder called updates and inside this folder will be one or more msp files. These can be taken to the remote server and then right clicked to apply them.

Note: it has been a while since I tried this and I can't offhand remember of you need to still copy the complete installer folder and not just the MSP. Also there are multiple MSP files you may need to look at their names carefully to work out which patch each MSP is and if there is an installation order (remembering that FP and SP updates are rollups of all previous updates, but that we do sometimes release patches that add to the last FP or SP)

Apologies for the late reply. 

I can certainly run the updates as you suggested, but that's a non-integrated administrative solution. And that's okay.

As CraigV indicated, my post is more about extended functionality that would be nice to have.

As a side note, we're running local backups to disk, and duplicating to AWS virtual tape libraries. It's working great!