cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent won't upgrade from 2010 to 2012

mli7777
Level 5

I have a Windows 2003 R2 server I am trying to manually install the new agent on.

The install starts and when it gets to the state where it is going to start copying files etc. it just stops right there.

I am inculding the log file it creates.

Idea's would be great.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Doesnt seem that the log got attached. Have you tried uninstalling the previous agent and then installing this?

Edit: Got the logs.

Info 1640.Only administrators have permission to add, 
remove, or configure server software during a Terminal services remote session. 
If you want to install or configure software on the server, contact your network 
administrator. C:\Documents and 
Settings\mhamilton\Desktop\RAWS32\install\media\Symantec Backup Exec Remote 
Agent for Windows Systems.msi

This looks like the issue. Try logging on to the server with the Backup Exec Service Account or an account that has permissions and then try the install.

mli7777
Level 5

Let me try the file again.   :)

mli7777
Level 5

Thanks.

Sorry I just quick posted this.

I read that to so going to see if there is a magic all rights login.

MIke

mli7777
Level 5

Well not sure?

This is a customer we support.

I got the domain admin. information and logged in as that and it failed with the same error.

I then made sure I was a part of the domain admins group like I thought and then added myself to the local administrators group and logged into the box using an account in the local admin. group and it failed again.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Mike

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are using RDP to do a remote login to the media server and then trying the install which is why it failed.  You should to a local login and then do the install.

mli7777
Level 5

Well it is a clients server.

I have used our remote software to get into at least 12+ other servers and then copy the agent install folder to the server and do the local install that way.  

I am guessing this might be the only terminal server?   Have not confirmed that.

But the push agent way was not working well so I have done the local install to all the systems so far.

And of course there has to be a couple problem children.

But I have done the same to this one.  I have the 32 bit agent install copied from the media server to this one and run the install from that folder and I get this error?

Am I missing something with what you suggested?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If it is a terminal server then you need to go to Add/Remove Programs and use Add Program to install the remote agent

mli7777
Level 5

:)

I have opened a DOS prompt and done the change user /install and tried it from control panel where you use that to load a program and find the setup file and launch from there.

Yes this one is being a pain.

I have poked at the install dept. to see if they have any suggestions and have not got any yet.

They got the 2010 agent on somehow.

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

Thought.

I can't really find anything for force install on a terminal server.

Thoughts on if this weekend I try to stop the terminal services service if that is what stops the install?

So stop the two services that are in services related to that and then try the install?

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

This sounded like a perfect fix.

So not sure what my problem is? 

I try this from a 2003 server to the server I want to get to that is a 2003.

If I put in mstsc/v:servername/console or /admin it claims it does not know that server name.

I tried from the RDP gui version like it says works also and tried servername/console or /admin and doesn't work?

I can ping the server by name.   I put in the IP instead of the name and it still does not work?

Sorry.

I appreciate the help.

mli7777
Level 5

If I do it without the switches it works fine just not able to get console mode?

mli7777
Level 5

Hang on ...  :)

I went to a 2008 Citrix server so it has terminal type services loaded.   So not sure if that helped?

Then went to the RDP gui and put in servername /admin and got in on conole mode.   :)

Just watched it finish.

Awesome.

Thanks for the help.

Mike