cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent wont install

Ron_W1
Level 3

I have a vanilla windows 7 x64 professional that I need to get backup exec agent installed on so I can put it into production. I am having trouble getting it installed. If I try to copy over the RAWS64 folder and install the agent locally, I can get the workstation added to backup exec as long as I don't tick the option upgrade when I am adding. However doing it this way the job will not run. It will error out with The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred. Initial searching shows I need to upgrade the agent. 

If I try it by remote push, I get this.

Job started     : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:26:44 AM
Job ended       : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:28:15 AM
Final error: 0x643 - Fatal error during installation.

Final error category: Other Errors
Completed status: Failed

Really stuck here..

16 REPLIES 16

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When a local install completes successfully, do verify the remote agent service is started and running under a local system account. If running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the remote agent service. Lastly, is port 10000 available for use by the remote agent.

Ron_W1
Level 3

tasklist /v shows it is running if I do a local install

beremote.exe                  1444 Services                   0     31,908 K Unk
nown         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM                                     0:00:00 N/A

Port 10000 inbound is open in the windows firewall. 

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

You may also want to try referring to the following documentation for a possible resolution:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/agent-wont-install

Ron_W1
Level 3

What documentation would that be? Your link just comes back to my post.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

My mistake, and sorry about that. The documentation is here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216835

Ron_W1
Level 3

Laurie, Remote push isn't working at all for me so I can't initiate an upgrade from backup exec, it generates the error you specified in the link. All I can do is a local install but this doesn't work either. The backup job fails with a communication error.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Are you able to ping the Backup Exec server from the remote computer and vice versa. You also may want to confirm a trust has been established by right clicking on the remote server from the Backup Exec console servers list, and selecting the option for "Establish trust".

Also confirm the following possiblities:

1. Firewall is blocking the communication.
  2. Antivirus is blocking the Backup Exec services
  3. IPv6 is enabled on one server
  4. The publishing tab of the remote agent has an incorrect entry for the Backup Exec Server name or IP address

Ron_W1
Level 3

I can ping yes. Both ways, from the workstation to the server and from the server to the workstation. can't establish a trust though..  

Ron_W1
Level 3

I forgot to restart the agent :o so I was able to establish a trust but still no go on updating

Job started     : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:24:16 AM
Job ended       : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:24:22 AM

And running the job gives me communication error.

No Antivirus on the machine
IPV6 is enabled on both systems (its not disabled on any of our systems)
Publishing tab shows the correct server
Firewall has an inbound port open for TCP 10000

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Does the publishing tab of the remote agent list the Backup Exec server by name and IP address in the top box, and the name of the remote server in the bottom box?

Also try logging into the Backup Exec Server with the Backup Exec Service account and updating the agent once more. If you are already logged in with the service account try referring to the following document and confirm all permissions are being met.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718

Ron_W1
Level 3

The publishing tab does have the IP4 and IP6 address in the box. The service account is just the domain administrator. Updating shows this. As you can see I have tried it many times. I've restored the windows firewall to its default properties in case something went wrong there, I have repaired framework twice. Removed endpoint a/v twice. I am starting to loose track of everything I have done.

Server name : xxxxx
Job name    : xxxxx Install 00044
Job log     : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_xxxxxx_01436.xml
Device name : 
Job started     : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:59:57 AM
Job ended       : Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:00:03 AM

On your link, there are 14 other servers that are being backed up and I never had to setup any group policies to make them work. The service account is the domain administrator account.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try removing the IPv6 address from the publishing tab of the remote agent and then restart the remote agent service on the remote computer. Then go back to the Backup Exec Server, establish trust once more and try running the job again.

Also, if you feel you have exhausted attempts to resolve the issue and would prefer to work with our support team, PM me and I am happy to assist you with that process.

Ron_W1
Level 3

I will get in contact with symantec on this. 

Job ended: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 at 11:30:12 AM
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072

Ron_W1
Level 3

Support contract ran out. Guess this thread can be closed no resolution. 

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Ron_W,

Please PM me with your name and we will see what we can do for you.

Jivo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

My maintenance contract is still valid ;)

I have the same problem:

I have upgraded from working BE 2012 to BE 15. Everything fell into place (so it seems for now) except the fact that I cannot upgrade agents on any server.

My servers are also on local network with all ports opened. I am runnig SEP, have tried to disable it on targeted machine, but it did not help. Apparently there is a problem on target server with VC installation, but I can't tell from log what the obstacle is.

I would appreciate some help.