cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agents and Licensing

TimPoulter
Level 4

I am waiting to hear back from Symantec Support so I figured I will post here as well

We have a customer that has Backup Exec 2014 Small Business Edition(SBE) and had a few questions in regards to the Backup Exec Agents.

1) Backup Exec 2014 SBE can backup 1 server by default? so only has 1 agent?
2) We know that it can backup upto 3 server, but to do this we would need purchase Two (2) Small Business Edition Agent for Windows for the Two(2) remote servers?

Here is the scenario

We have a customer with 3 servers.
Server 1 -  Windows Server 2008 R2, Domain Controller, Exchange Server 2010, File Server, Backup Exec is installed on

Server 2 - Server 2008 R2 - Custom Application running on MS SQL Server

Server 3 - Server 2008 R2 - Sage AccPacc Server, running on MS SQL Server

Server 1 backups fine, server 2 and server 3, have started to fail with the error "The job failed with the following error: The trial period for Backup Exec or for an agent or option has expired. You must enter the serial number to continue. "

Now I understand that the error is be cause I do not have any agents licensed, hence my questions above

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can get 2 SB edition licences, but that may be an overkill because you are also paying for the ability to backup another copy of Exchange, etc.

It might be cheaper to get the ordinary BE licence and then add the necessary Agent for Applications and Databases licences for each application/databases on each server.  The Agent for Applications and Databases licences comes with a AWS licence so you are covered for the server. In your case, you would need,

1 x BE licence

4 x Agent for Applications and Databases licence for Exchange, AD, 2 x SQL Server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For the SB edition, you can backup up till 3 servers, but you need to buy 2 more Agent for Windows Systems licenses. These will backup the files on these servers You are going to have a problem. You can only backup the SQL databases on one of the extra servers with your SB edition license. You will not be able to backup the SQL databases on the other server because you need to have an Agent for Applications and Databases license to do so, but you cannot add this license to the SB edition. BTW, Tech Support is not who you would ask Licencing questions. You need to ask the Licencing department You might want to read this http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

TimPoulter
Level 4

Hi,

thanks for the quick response, from symantec support there was an option for technical or non-techincal and when I selected non-technical it gave me an option for licensing questions. So that is what I selected.

I had seen that document as well and that futher added to our confusion. As we though that when purchasing BE 2014 SBE we have all the agents needed to backup 3 servers.

And the way that it seem according to page 8 of that, then we would need to get Two (2) Small Business Edition Agent for Windows(Which indicates that it can do SQL) 

Or now do we have to get the above 2 plus 2 Agent for Applications and Databases? So 4 licenses in total?

Becasue we had been backing this up with Backup Exec 2012 SBE without any problems, unless it changed in 2014

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can get 2 SB edition licences, but that may be an overkill because you are also paying for the ability to backup another copy of Exchange, etc.

It might be cheaper to get the ordinary BE licence and then add the necessary Agent for Applications and Databases licences for each application/databases on each server.  The Agent for Applications and Databases licences comes with a AWS licence so you are covered for the server. In your case, you would need,

1 x BE licence

4 x Agent for Applications and Databases licence for Exchange, AD, 2 x SQL Server.

TimPoulter
Level 4

We where able to get it resloved. Turns out we do need two SBE agents

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can backup your current configuration with 2 SB edition license, but you will be restricting yourself 1. You would need to have two media servers 2. If you add another machine with SQL Server databases, you cannot just simply add an Agent for Applications and Databases license for it. You again need to buy another SB edition license and add another media server