cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Al utility jobs fail

acl03
Level 4
I am using BE 12 sp4 on windows 2003 with both an HP MSL5026 tape library and an SSL1016 library. I seem to be able to run backup jobs ok, but all utility jobs hang on "initializing" for hours then fail. These utility jobs include...retensioning, lock/unlock library, initialize library, etc. This started about a week ago.

This may be a hardware problem, but is there anything software-related I can try? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We can try pasuing and unpausing the BE Server:
1  : Go to the Devices TAB.
2  : Right click on the Media Server Name and click on PAUSED..wait for few seconds
3  : Right Click and Unpause it.

Now try utility jobs...

john_oliver_2
Level 3
I had a similar issue with my HP MSL library connected to my SAN in a CAS enviroment.  It was a hardware driver /BE compatibly issue that require a regedit.  Try this if the above doesn't work.  Try running tracer.exe from the BE folder .  (and on each MMS if you have them.)  If you get repeated Test Unit Ready commands (hundreds or thousands of them) after starting tracer you need to do the following:

1) Disable Removable Storage Service on the server(s) if you havent done so. (the MMS also).  then retry.  If that doesnt help do....
)  KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411. Basically you will be regedit-ing the tape service.sys in HCLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\whatevertapeservice.sys and adding an AutoRun = 0 if not there.  Take a backup before you do this.  This disables autorun.   (As an additional hint to doing this step look for repeated Error 12, 15 and or 57 in the system event viewer after reboots.)  Whats going on is BE want to control the Library and there is something else (server, service, and or driver) that is competing with it.  The disable autorun stops the competition. 

And make sure all your drivers are up to date.  On my DL 380 G5 HP boxes, I has to down load the latest iLO drivers (2) and firmware (1) to fix the above and an additional annoying unexpected "hpqilo2" reboots. (especially if you are running PSP 8. something.)

John Oliver
An end user.

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi,
we had the same problem with a SSL1016 and the final result was, that the library is no longer supportet by Symantec since version 12.0.
Please check the compatibility guide (http://entsupport.symantec.com/carveout_PID_15047_view_CL.htm).

Best regards,
Oliver
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.