cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerting when a tape needs changing

FNIS_SD
Level 2

Firstly I would like to apologise if it the answer to this is in an obvious place on here, but I am finding the forum pretty confusing at the moment since I have just signed up.

Anyway...

We have a system using backup exec 10d configured by a guy who I don't think knows what he is doing, and I haven't used backup exec since my previous job which was just before Symantec took over.

The problem is our main backup has recently crept onto two tapes, so on a night we put tape1 in, in the morning we switch to tape2, then again for the verify of tape1 and once more for the verify of tape2.

So my question is:

Can I get automatic alerting via email to tell me when the tapes need changing?

From a quick look I can see you need to set the 'configure email and pagers' section to point to a working SMTP server, then use 'configure alert catagories' to pick an address to notify for 'Media Insert' alerts?

Is that it or do I need to do something fancy like making sure all the tapes are in a pool and have names etc? Currently we are a bit haphazard with what tape goes in when (IE: What was tape1 last monday might end up as tape2 this monday).

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

You are right that that is all you have to do, but I will give you these two hints:

One, is use your ISP's SMTP relay. A lot of people here try to route it through the local Exchange box, and they have trouble configuring Exchange properly. Using the ISP relayer takes that problem out of it, and you don't risk opening your Exchange to unintended SPAM relaying.

Two, is test it using a Hotmail address first. Exchange seems to catch some of these alerts as SPAM, and drops them. So you start troubleshooting the BE setup when it is really working. Once you know that the Hotmail address works, then change it to the address you want. If it gets dropped, you then know that you have to look at your SPAM filters.

Assuming you are currently doing a full backup, and not just data, you could also consider adding a USB drive (less than $100 for the size you need) to do your Full backups weekly with a daily differential job. Then also backup your actual data since it is smaller in size to tape so you can remove them from the site. If the place burns, along with the USB drive, you may have more reinstalling and reconfiguring to do, but you will still have the data. Although burning down can happen, and happened to a client of mine, having the data is the most important, and this would save a lot of day-to-day hassles while keeping you safe enough to recover. I would actually take this route.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

You are right that that is all you have to do, but I will give you these two hints:

One, is use your ISP's SMTP relay. A lot of people here try to route it through the local Exchange box, and they have trouble configuring Exchange properly. Using the ISP relayer takes that problem out of it, and you don't risk opening your Exchange to unintended SPAM relaying.

Two, is test it using a Hotmail address first. Exchange seems to catch some of these alerts as SPAM, and drops them. So you start troubleshooting the BE setup when it is really working. Once you know that the Hotmail address works, then change it to the address you want. If it gets dropped, you then know that you have to look at your SPAM filters.

Assuming you are currently doing a full backup, and not just data, you could also consider adding a USB drive (less than $100 for the size you need) to do your Full backups weekly with a daily differential job. Then also backup your actual data since it is smaller in size to tape so you can remove them from the site. If the place burns, along with the USB drive, you may have more reinstalling and reconfiguring to do, but you will still have the data. Although burning down can happen, and happened to a client of mine, having the data is the most important, and this would save a lot of day-to-day hassles while keeping you safe enough to recover. I would actually take this route.

FNIS_SD
Level 2

Thank you very much!

(And speedy too :) )

Sadly drastic changes like USB are out of my hands but as long as I can be alerted when to swap tapes it will save a whole load of hassle.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
Well, you can recommend it. They may actually appreciate the benefits.