cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Backup Jobs go to Queued state

Davan
Level 3

I have been having a lot of problems with Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for a couple weeks now.

Last week all backup jobs were hanging at Snapshot Processing.  I would have to restart all services to get it to stop.

Now this week, all backup jobs are hanging at Queued.

Suspecting a problem with the tape loader, I set up a new Backup To Disk folder... but it's doing the same thing.

I read about pausing and unpausing the media server in the devices tab... but that has made no difference.

I have also removed and re-added the Tape Devices, but that also made no difference.

No errors in the logs or event viewer.  All devices show as ready.  I've cleared all alerts.  It has no problems with other jobs such as inventory, catalog, delete media, etc. I'm using the same backup job and selection list that has been working for the past 14 months. I've tried the job both with AOFO both enabled and disabled.  I don't know what else to look at.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I am now at 2 weeks without a successful off-site backup.  :(

8 REPLIES 8

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi,
do you have removable storage service disabled and stoped?
It´s important to have this service stoped?
Are you using last Symante drives, updates, service packs...?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Davan
Level 3

I cannot find removable storage service in services.msc.... is there somewhere else to look for that?

I applied SP3 to Symantec 12.5 during all the troubleshooting I have been doing.  Liveupdate says there are no other updates available.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

what is your operanting system?

Davan
Level 3

The media server is Windows Server 2008 SP1

Remote agents vary from Server 2003 to Server 2008

Davan
Level 3

As a test, I just created a new test backup job, selecting to only backup a single folder on a single server... and it worked!

However if I create a new backup job, and use my existing selection list (which includes files, folders, sql, system states, sharepoint, etc...) it just goes straight to Queued and never progresses...

Any ideas what my next step should be?

Ginzu3
Level 2

You said your list has been working for the past 14 months up until just recently?  Was the SP3 been added in response to your problems or was it added 2 weeks ago?  Personally, I'd run a credentials check and make sure it's connecting. 

The snapshot queue to me typically has been because of an account restriction -- like someone locked out the login being used.  Maybe the Remote Utility is not started?  I would start with the basics first and work my way up.  I would even go as far as recreating the list.

Can you remove the SP3?

Davan
Level 3

SP3 was only installed as a response to the issues I started having.  It made no difference in correcting the problem.

I have created a new selection list, but it is almost identical to the existing one that has been working for a long time.

I guess my next step is to create a new selection list.... but limit the types of items it is backing up, for example, only system state and utlity partition.... or only files and folders... or only SQL.... or only a single server at a time... and see if I can narrow down what is not working and what is working fine...

Any other thoughts?

Ginzu3
Level 2
that you will want to seperate your Data from your SQL backups, exchange, and AD stuff as the file technology used to manage your locked files etc, can fight each other.  It made no sense to me at the time, but as directed, it seemed to work.  I still disagree with that statement, but why change something that works, right?  I hope that incite helps a little at least.

G3