cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All devices Offline after reboot

Greg_McConkey
Level 3

Performed an in place upgrade to BE2010 from 12.5 yesterday on Windows Server 2008 X64.  Everything ran fine over night.  I rebooted the server today and now it shows all my backup to disk folders, tape devices, and dedup folder as offline.

I can manually bring the devices online
Wait a bit (several minutes) then they all show in use then that goes out.
Then I can then initialize my tape device and things act normally.

Tried rebooting a couple more times with the same results.  Is there some kind of built in delay for device discovery, is this intended or behavior or not?

Anyone else observe this behavior?

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Greg_McConkey
Level 3
 Alright figured out what was going on.  When you use the Dedupe option from source it creates an NDMP device for each of the remote agents you give direct access.  You can see these listed under devices.  When it starts up it pings these servers, there is an option to disable the ping.  Not sure why it takes 15-20 minutes though, max latency is 35ms for some remote sites.  Opened a ticket with Symantec and while trouble shooting they had me uninstall the Dedupe option and now can not get De-dupe re-installed again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Greg,

Just did an in-place upgrade on 1 of my servers yesterday, and besides losing my DB and all my BE information, it has been fine.
There is no built-in delay to discover devices. WHen you restart the services, or restart your server itself, those devices will be available immmediately.
The fact that they are not leads me to think that: A] there could have been some sort of corruption during the installation that you don't know about; B] need to reinstall the drivers via Tools --> Configure Devices --> Configure Devices Assistant, and then check the settings for your B2D folders separately.
I'd look at running the DB repair utility in BEutility first though, and then reinstall the device drivers. Stop and restart the services, and see what happens.
Also check the Alerts tab to make sure that nothing is showing in error there.

Laters!

Greg_McConkey
Level 3
 Alright figured out what was going on.  When you use the Dedupe option from source it creates an NDMP device for each of the remote agents you give direct access.  You can see these listed under devices.  When it starts up it pings these servers, there is an option to disable the ping.  Not sure why it takes 15-20 minutes though, max latency is 35ms for some remote sites.  Opened a ticket with Symantec and while trouble shooting they had me uninstall the Dedupe option and now can not get De-dupe re-installed again.

Brent_Bruns
Level 2
Partner
We found that you can not re-install the DeDupe to the same folder, Created a new folder on the volume and was able to re-install.  The sad part was all of my old DuDupe files became unusable.