cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An attempt to write data base end of media has failed

Max_Drury
Level 3
What does this error mean? I can't find anything on your knowledge base or anywhere else on the net.

Final error: 0xa00084f2 - An attempt to write data base end of media has failed.
5 REPLIES 5

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,
Generally this error occurs due to SCSI or hardware related issue. Before proceeding ensure that the drive is connected to its own SCSI Controller. To resolve the issue, do the following:

1.) Update the SCSI Controller driver and firmware to the latest

2.) Check the SCSI cable and also ensure that it is terminated properly

3.) Clean the tape drive as per the instructions by Hardware manufacturer

4.) Try performing small backup using fresh media and verify the result.

5.) Please ensure that tape device is not set to SCSI ID "0" or "1". These SCSI ID's are usually reserved for the bootable devices

Please refer to the following technote:

Title:- Why is it recommended that tape devices should not to be connected to controllers?

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191488.htm

We hope this will help.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas

Not applicable
> Final error: 0xa00084f2 - An attempt to write data
> base end of media has failed.

We have a customer who is now having this error. They started having the error at the beginning of April, nothing had changed. We've replaced the DLT drive.

Is there anything else I can do? The server has been in and working fine for over a year.

Thanks

Nevin_Swan
Not applicable
I am also having this issue.

Backups have been working for almost a year and have now stopped with this error, i have updated drivers, changed tapes, ran cleaning tape etc.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Donovan_Lewis
Level 2
Try removing some of the data from the selections. Mayb e the tape is too full.