cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error occurred while processing a B2D command

rharms
Level 2

Intermittently(on a daily basis, not time specific) i get a B2D command error . The storage device Nas(QNAP TS1685) has the latest firmware installed, the media server is fully up to date(latest backup exec version and fully updated windows). I even rebuilt the array type on that NAS which made no difference. Played around with changing the network switch MTU between 1500 and 9000, which made no difference. I trunked and untrunked connections, also made no difference. I even installed a secondary backup exec media server  onto a VM that runs through a different switch. Both servers render the same intermittent error.

I did a continuous ping to the nas, and it never drops, even while backup exec throws these intermittent errors.
I even changed the storage device to only allow 1 concurrent write session : makes no difference.

There is more than enough space on the shared drives. Like i said, sometimes the backup works after retrying a few times. It also does not happen on the same backup set. Totally random. 

Sometimes after several manual retries, the backup will start fine and even complete. But often, we end up with the below error in the event log.

The deduplication option was the worst. The dedup storage device(the same nas device as mentioned above) would be online a few hours and then go offline in backup exec, even while the ISCSI connected drive is hundred percent fine and accessible via windows. This happens on the physical server(Central administration server) and on the VM(secondary backup exec server). We gave up on dedup, because backup exec requires a server restart to reconnect the drive(service restarts didn't work). It doesn't seem to care that it is perfectly fine and working in windows. Like i said, no ping drops, no windows connection drops mentioned in the iscsi event log. Just backup exec that decides randomnly to put the device in an offline state.

I then started playing around with TCP/UDP offload settings on the media server network adapter. Switched off all offload settings on the network adapter. Made no difference.

An error occurred while processing a B2D command. Drive: OpenPosMTF() CreateFile failed (\\cmsnas\Backup\BackupExecSlow150\B2D008940.bkf). Error=1326 For more information, click the following link: https://telemetry.veritas.com/entt?product=BE&module=eng-event&error=V-379-33808&build=retail&versio...

5 REPLIES 5

RogRubin
Employee

Does this event as well cause backup jobs to fail and if so what is the error there?
You mention CAS (physical) and MBES (Virtual).
Do both BE server connect to this NAS and do both report this event or just the one server and if so which one?
Did this ever work, meaning when did the issue of these event start?

Debacle
Level 1

We are encountering a similiar issue running backups on both Server 2016 and Server 2019 to a QNAP model #TS-873U. Both servers and QNAP are fully updated. This only seems to affect larger backup jobs as smaller incremental jobs run correctly. Sometimes when manually restarting a job multiple times it will successfully run. The errors generated within Veritas are rather generic, so I checked eventviewer to locate the below entries.

---------------------

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "<backup server>") (Job: "Backup -Full") <backup source> Backup -Full -- The job failed with the following error: An unknown error has occurred.

For more information, click the following link:
https://telemetry.community.veritas.com/entt?product=BE&module=eng-event&error=V-379-34113&build=ret...

---------------------

Storage device "Disk storage 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The handle is invalid.

https://telemetry.community.veritas.com/entt?product=BE&module=eng-event&error=V-379-57665&build=ret...

----------------

An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Drive: Write() WriteFile failed 0/64 @458567 (\\<backup destination>\veritas\B2D001005.bkf). Error=6

https://telemetry.community.veritas.com/entt?product=BE&module=eng-event&error=V-379-33808&build=ret...

I'm getting this also.

BE21.3

BE server is on Windows Server 2019

Remote server being backed up is 2012r2 and hosts the DAS the backup is going to.  (yes its odd, changing soon)

Backup is B2D being processed on the remote server.  I did not have this issue until we were required to upgrade from 20.6 to 21.3.  Tech support required us to upgrade before they would provide support to fix a database entry issue.

Now the database is working but I'm constantly getting these errors. 

All servers are Dell 520 and 540's.  All are updated with the most current SUU.  All Windows and BE udpates are in place.

The backup this weekend was my first successful backup in nearly a month due to this and I still got 20 BE errors.

All errors are 33808, 'An error occurred while processing a B2D command.  Drive:  OpenPosMTF() CreateFile failed, retrying(...file location.bkf). Error=32

This is followed about 15 seconds later by an error saying it succeeded after 1 retry Error=0

RogRubin
Employee

Do you have one B2D folder on the DAS or do you have multiple B2D folder on the DAS?
What is the concurrency you have specified for the B2D device(s)
How many jobs do run in parallel?
Maybe you want to reduce the concurrency specified for the device and/or schedule some jobs earlier /later so that there are less jobs running at the same time and see if that makes any difference.

Do you have one B2D folder on the DAS or do you have multiple B2D folder on the DAS?

-  The DAS only contains the .BKF files and all are written directly to the DAS without being contained in a folder so essentially being treated as being in 1 folder.  I've been considering changing this so each server has it's own folder on the DAS but would that help?

What is the concurrency you have specified for the B2D device(s)

-  Concurrent write sessions: 3

How many jobs do run in parallel?

-  A maximum of 2.  They are all spaced out so they shouldn't overlap too much.  Most are very small backups in the 200GB realm and finish in a few hours.  The main one at around 2TB takes about 2.5 days typically for B2D only and another 12 hrs for duplication to tape.  

Maybe you want to reduce the concurrency specified for the device and/or schedule some jobs earlier /later so that there are less jobs running at the same time and see if that makes any difference.

-  My current challenge is in the B2D transfer rate.  None of them break 700MB/min and the worst is about 350-450MB/minute on a 6GB SAS connection.  When it duplicates DAS to Tape it runs at around 1.7GB/min.  

-  Also, just received a predictive drive failure this morning for the DAS.  I'm curious to see if this issue remediates itself with the replacement of the drive.