cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An unknown error occurred on device “HP 1". V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

R_H_2
Level 5
I have a site that is getting:
An unknown error occurred on device “HP 1. V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Job fails at random places in the backup job and all data is from the local server - No agents, no Exchange, all local data.

Autoloader is an Exabyte Magnum 1x7 with an HP Ultrium 2 drive in it - All latest firmware

Windows Server 2003, 32 bit
Backup Exec 11.d

First SCSI card was an LSI U320 non-RAID (HP OEM)
Now an Adaptec 29160 - Latest driver

Multiple cables and terminators

System was able to move tapes and perform a full tape write/read test using Exabyte's Libtool

Within Backup Exec, I have tried removing the

Nothing posted in the Event Viewed / System log.
Application log has the following three events:
Event ID:    33152
Date:        6/28/2007
Time:        10:38:48
User:        N/A
Computer:    SERVER
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 33152 ) in Source ( Backup Exec ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!, Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE, Drive = "HP 1",     {C03A207A-8291-4CED-8389-DABED1565384}, Media = "Seagate 2007/06/24.20:42:36",     {0D4EE6C0-4F57-4F17-AE6C-3CED2DB90D6B}, Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0), Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1).
Data:
0000: 70 00 0b 00 00 00 00 10   p.......
0008: 00 00 00 00 47 00         ....G.
Event ID:    57600
Time:        10:38:48
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 57600 ) in Source ( Backup Exec ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: HP 1.
Data:
0000: ed 84 00 e0               í .à   
Event ID:    34113
Time:        10:39:26
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 34113 ) in Source ( Backup Exec ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SERVER" ) (Job: "Backup 00001" ) Backup 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occurred.

At this point I am convinced that it is not SCSI bus related due to the lack of events posted in the Event Viewer / System log as well as the full tape write and read over the SCSI bus with the Exabyte tools.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

I have check in the HCL for Backup Exec 11d and Exabyte magnum 1X7 is not listed.  I will suggest to check the HCL, in there you will see other Exabyte Magnum models,  make sure that yours is not in "emulation mode", this mode is not supporte by Symantec.

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 11d (11.0.6235 and 11.0.7170) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, VSS, NDMP and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended.

R_H_2
Level 5
The Exabyte Magnum 1x7 is listed on page 42 of the document that you linked to - the "Backup Exec 11d (11.0) for Windows Servers Hardware Compatibility Lists" Created on June 28, 2007.

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Sorry, I didn't see that.

I will suggest you to open a case with Tech Support since we will need to get logs in order to troubleshoot this issue.

R_H_2
Level 5
OK.  Thank you for your time.