cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the availability of Feature Pack 4 (FP4) for Backup Exec 15

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We are excited to announce the availability of Feature Pack 4 (FP4) for Backup Exec 15. Feature packs build on the core strengths of Backup Exec by addressing the top customer needs for hybrid environments and mark the transition away from major releases into a more continuous delivery model.

Read this blog for more details:

https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/another-new-feature-backup-exec-15-fp4

Note: as per current Backup Exec update release practice, this update will not yet be provided via Live Update, LiveUpdate availability of this patch will be provided in a couple of weeks time (date to be confirmed)

17 REPLIES 17

Colin_Weaver

For those customers aware of the changes relating to Hyper-V backups that were introduced in FP3, the FP4 release will leave Hyper-V processing set to the Standard method if installing over FP2 or earlier and if installing over FP3 will leave the backup method set to whichever of Standard or Faster is currently enabled in the environment.

adminsi
Level 3

Great Fix Pack ...

removed support for IBM Domino backup

Am I supposed to switch to another backup product as soon as possible now?

Do you know that many of your customers are still using Domino in production and that it is still under developpment by IBM?

Moopere-P
Level 3

I don't know if this is known or not - but FP3 SBE v15 doesn't have this option:

• In the Backup Exec console click the Backup Exec button (yellow button top left) and select Configuration and Settings —> Backup Exec Settings.
  • In the left sidebar of the Settings screen, click on Virtual Machines

Its simply not there - BE server in my install is Server 2012 (not R2) but the machines being backed up are 2012R2 servers.  FP3 flipped me over to the new method and I can't find any way to flip back.  Veritas servers are down right now so I can't check FP4 to see if this is corrected - but by Colins comment above I'm thinking that maybe it won't be as I would need to flip this switch myself.

Any chance of a registry entry or somesuch to force things back to normal?  I'm faced with having to reinstall BE in order to revert backto pre-FP3.

Colin_Weaver

If the virtual machines section is not listed have you got a license package (or trialware choice)  installed that covers virtual agent backups as if you don't then the options covering virtual machine backups won't be listed. If you do and can't see them then suggest you log a formal support case instead of uninstalling (but also go to FP4)

Moopere-P
Level 3

Its v15 SBE ... so, yes, I beleive the special SBE agent includes Hyper-v.  But I also suspect that something funky is going on because of the special licence.  I remember reading the KB article about this issue and going to the settings menu, and for a brief moment I saw the hyper-v settings menu, then it disappeared and I haven't seen it since.

I'll go to FP4 today and see what happens.

Colin_Weaver

1) SBE was discontinued at BE 15 FP1 release and existing SBE customers are eligible for Capacity Lite licensing - please contact the customer care teams (using the phone as they don't  montitor the forums) to receive appropriate replacement licenses.

2) For all our menu options if you are quick (and observant enough) there are times when an option will very briefly be seen and then disappear - this is because the code that drives the console views tries to load every option and then quickly reviews installed licenses (and as it happens things like no tape devices connected) and hides the menu lines that are not appropriate for your configuration. This is almost certainly happening to you because you do not have a valid virtual agent license.

Please check  the License Information Screen to see what is shows for both your installed edition and which agents and options are enabled.

Also - as far as I can currently tell your issue has nothing to do with FP4 so please post a new thread about any ongoing symptoms.

Moopere-P
Level 3

Thanks Colin.  Thats a least pointed me in the right direction.

I'll have to reinstall I think.  Capacity Lite isn't equivalent to SBE and though I have the licence to use it, its not suitable.  Presumably FP4 is still compatible with v15 SBE?  If not surely it wouldn't allow install?  If I have to go back to FP1 and stay there then so be it - but I don't remember seeing this mentioned anywhere.

I'll post a bug report against FP3 and SBE v15 as you suggest.

Colin_Weaver

SBE is discotinued against all future updates to Backup Exec including and following BE 15 FP1, as such you may end up in trialware if you do not get the Capacity Lite replacement licenses - as previously mentioned this issue is not specifically caused by FP4.

The licensing guide http://www.veritas.com/docs/000024885 confirms that SBE is End-of-Life (in the footnote of the Migrate to Capacity table on page 8 and on page 12 in the Discontinued Products section)

Level 3

removed support for IBM Domino backup

seriously? One of the most important reason to choose this product

great decision

good bye

karinjo
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

I need a help with installing Feature Pack4.

I have a problem with installing FP4 on my BE15 via LiveUpdate. From screeshot1 it seems that all works regulary, but at the end Live Update report some error that installing was canceled.

Screenshot_1: http://oi63.tinypic.com/vceah.jpg

Screenshot_2: http://oi63.tinypic.com/1felpy.jpg

In the event logs states two error logs according to this issue. 

-------

Event ID 11706 Msi Installer

Product: Symantec Backup Exec -- Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Symantec Backup Exec.  
The Windows Installer cannot continue

-------

Event ID 1023 Msi Installer

Product: Symantec Backup Exec - Update 'Symantec Backup Exec (Feature Pack 4)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. 
Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\HOTFIX 97855 (X64).log.

------

Log file "hotfix 97855" is in the atthacment.

Colin_Weaver

In some circumstances when applying patches to Backup Exec the original source media (extracted or mounted ISO) for the full product is needed.

Unfortunately if you get this problem in LiveUdate the only fix is to make the original media available in the original location (which you may not know). Usually if you download the updated (in this case FP4)  from the Technote instead of using LiveUpdate, when it needs the source media and can't find it, a pop-up will be seen and you can then specifiy where it is.

Note: this type of installation problem is generic and not specific to FP4.

If you are stil stuck after reading this then please log a formal support case for assistance.

karinjo
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

@Colin,

Please help me, how to download FP4  from the Technote instead of using LiveUpdate ?

Could you provide me download link for FP4 ?

Thanks in advance

edit: Sorry, I found installation file from Technote and successfully installed Feature Pack 4.

Thanks again

kf2013
   VIP   

Will the next feature pack of BE 15 support Windows server 2016 as it will be launched on July 2016?

I am wondering if it will support Windows server 2016 core and NANo version too?

Colin_Weaver

Whilst we are investigating for support against Windows 2016 we cannot currently confirm the timeframe or levels of support against different editions.

NetworkCompany
Level 4

The FP4 install and agent upgrades went fairly uneventful for us but we are getting a ton of hangups backing up servers with remote desktp, SQL and Exchange and the agents are crashing all the time.  Mostly the error is a rewind error on the dedup storage.   These problems never occured with FP3

In the case of the Exchange server, the backup just stops in the middle of the incremental jobs and leaves the puredisk service running.  Subsequent backups fail with the error that the previous job was not performed by the agent.  Stopping the purefisk service on the agent and restarting the backup agent service fixes it for a day or so but this is annoying.

For the SQL servers, the agent just crashes.  Seemingly random but always on incremental jobs.  Setting the agent service to restart automatically fixed jobs so they only fail sometimes.

For the remote desktop server, the agent just crashes.

Are there any post-install actions required?  Should we maybe re-catalog the entire dedup storage?

Colin_Weaver

You should log a formal suppoort case as that sounds too complicated to try to diagnose by these forums.

larkness
Level 2

I am trying to figure out how to install/update our Managed Servers after upgrading to Feature Pack 4. The Update option on the right click menu under the Backup and Restore Tab is grayed out. Do I have to login to the actual server and do a Live Update to get Feature Pack 4 on our three Managed Servers that are remote? I have tried going the Install Agents route under the Backup Exec tab and it tells me I cannot do that because the Agent for Windows is already installed. Help!