cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the new beta for Backup Exec

Turls
Level 6

The Backup Exec team is delighted to announce registration for the next beta release of Backup Exec 2010 and 2012! This beta release supports VMware vSphere 5.1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (and Hyper-V). It is available for BOTH Backup Exec 2010 R3 and 2012, and is expected to be delivered automatically to either platform (as long as you are under maintenance).

Read this blog for more details

28 REPLIES 28

999dom999
Level 2

Sorry I saw the coloured boxes after your name and assumed so! ;)

I think I know the answers, it will take too long. I think its best to see if I can return BE2012 and look for another solution.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited
The much awaited Service Packs to add support to Windows Server 2012 (Remote Agent only) and VMWare 5.1 are released.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2

Technocrat
Level 2

Hello, anybody knows latest compatible version of "Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows" for Windows 7 laptop 64-bit. Is it free ? From where it can be downloaded ? license information will be really great

Packert
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi.

When is vSphere 5.5 support supported ?

Regrds 

Morten

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whilst we are working on it, there is no current timescale for supporting ESX 5.5. Please monitor our support website, these forums and the software compatibility list for Backup Exec for any updates.

Packert
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Colin

Thnx for your answer - be aware that Denmark is firstmover for upgrading to new version - so this is a showstopper. We just got 5.1 support - one year late ;)

Rgrds

Morten

CustomerIsRight
Level 2

Just my 2 cents, but my renewal is up in July '14 Symantec.  As Symantec is unwilling to publish an official roadmap I'm looking at your competition (Zetta and CommVault to name a couple) at this point. 

Sorry Symantec, i've been a BackUp Exec user since 2003 when I got fed up with ArcServe, but there is just too many things wrong with 2012 to justify waiting another year for you to "maybe" fix it.

I've already told my bosses that it's my fault for not checking the forums and blogs before recommend renewing our lic's and to underscore how PO'd I am at this junk I've even said that I'm willing to absorb some of the cost to switch to another backup just so I don't have to spend a quarter of each day checking and troubleshooting 2012..

If you want me to "EVEN CONSIDER" renewing, I would recommend that you get someone to have the guts to post a timeline on when all the 2010 features that we're removed will be put back in. 

Otherwise, Adios Symantec....

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

CustomerIsRight,

Would you please list the outstanding issues you are seeing and 2010 features that we're removed that you would like to be put back in and then e-mail me the case numbers regarding these matters that you may have opened with support so I can investigate these items further for you?

-Dave

CustomerIsRight
Level 2

I don't understand what I need to list.  Just about every feature I need from 2010 has already been requested by everyone else on these and every other forum I've been on since this 2012 debacle.

But to recap the top three:

1. Multiple server backup in a "SINGLE JOB"

2. Fix the Date/Time exclusion issue in the calendar.

3.  Ability to change the Expiration Date on the Backup Sets.

Please get someone with the 'guts' to post the timeframe on when these 3 issues will be added back toi 2012

Here is a ticket which was open on 8/12/13 on issue 3 above.  I imported my old backup jobs and after import, the expiration date is set for 1/14/2038.  Duh... 2038!!!!  I went to try and change it (like you could do in 2010 when it was an 'Enterprise' program and not a simple preschool program) and find out that I can't. 

All that is required is a simple "15 minute?" script by one of your progamers to run on the database and changed the date, I'm told nope can do that.  I have jumped thru the 'hoops' that your 'level 2 tech has had me do so far (ie. rebuild catalog, reinventory, etc.) but at this point it no longer matters as I've been manually deleting the old job/files anbd after wasting my tme for that past month I'm thru with Simpleton Blowup Exec.

FYI, Just did a Webex with Zetta.  Looks interesting. 

Like the dolphins said... "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish...."