cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Remote Agent Error

Max_Drury
Level 3
I installed the Remote Agent on the backup server, and on the remote computer using the command line (setup.exe /RANT32: -s; I kept getting "The RPC server is unavailable" when attempting to push the agent from the backup server). My backups are getting the data on the remote computer and I've confirmed this by doing a restore, however, I get the following error on every backup job: Could not completely protect remote computers because the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not installed. The Remote Agent service is running on both the server and remote computer. The following directory was created on the remote computer from the command line install: Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT.

Thank you,

Max.
11 REPLIES 11

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
While your backup will be backing up the normal data from the server, it won't be backing up the system state information, which is why the job fails.

Probably an obvious question, but have you rebooted the remote server since installing the remote agent on it? From the tone of your post it sounds as if you've done all this fairly recently, which is why I ask.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello Max,

The error appears because Backup Exe has failed to detect Remote Agent on the remote computer and will not be able to completely protect your system. Since you have installed remote agent locally and the remote agent service is started and running then the issue may be due to incorrect host name resolution. To resolve this issue, add the IP address and host name of the remote computer in hosts file (C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc\) of the Media Server.

Recycle the Backup Exec services and remote agent services and then try to perform backup of the remote computer.

Hope this helps you.
Thank You.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas

Max_Drury
Level 3
I gave the remote computer (CCWKST103) a static IP and entered this into the Hosts file on the backup server. The backup job is still completing with exceptions with the following error:

Backup - CCWKST103 Unable to initialize Remote Agent

Thanks,

Max.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the remote agent indeed running on the remote sytem? (not just installed, but is the service actually running)

Can you ping both ways by both IP address and Machine Name

If you log onto the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you map and browse shares on the remote machine?

Max_Drury
Level 3
Yes to all of the above. I can ping both ways using computer name and IP. The Remote Agent is running on the remote PC and I can map a drive to the folder I'm trying to back up from the backup server. Would it help if I kept this drive mapping and changed the selections in the backup job to look for the drive mapping rather than browsing to the remote PC (it's probably the same thing but....)?

Thanks,

Max.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please trying lowering Remote Agent priority. Refer the following technote.

Title:
The remote agent fails to initialize though the remote agent service has started in VERITAS Backup Exec 8.x.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/233217

This is applicable for 9.x as well.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.

Max_Drury
Level 3
I did as suggested above with no change. I had a hunch this system recovery program we use (First Defense ISR) was interfering with the Remote Agent because it causes some problems with Symantec Ghost and always runs in the background. When I uninstalled the program the backup reports changed from Completed with Exceptions to Failed although the error message is the same. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the remote agent on the computer but I still get the failure with the following error message:

The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine CCWKST103. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to attach to \\CCWKST103\Champion.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running.

The agent is installed and the service is running. What's strange is the remote data IS being backed up. I can't do a restore directly to the remote PC but I can do a file redirect to the backup server and manually copy the data over.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please tell us about the remote machine you are trying to backup.
What OS it has and also what are you trying to backup from that remote machine ?
Does it have any database residing on it ?

You can refer to the technote mentioned below:

All selections for a remote server in Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers are unavailable for selection.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255500

Waiting for your reply.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.