cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another appendable tape media question...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Peeps,

BE 2012 SP1 on Win 2008 R2 - B2D2T...

I have tape media that are not full, yet not appendable - and I think I do understand the overwriteable and appendable characteristics - I don;t want to change this.

I sometimes have the situation where the DC Ops are unable to replace tape media (staffing levels) and yet I don't want to increase the append time because I normally need the media (of which there are always a few non-full) to be not in-use so that they are free to be ejected for off-site storage... but...

...what I sometimes want (need) to do is make one or more non-full tape media temporarily appendable again - so that I can add a few extra re-run backups (i.e. the duplications) to tape - so that they can go off-site.

Is there a way to make a tape appendable again, yet not loose what's already on it?

I can't find such a function in the GUI - so I'm wondering if the BEM CLI has a method for this?

Thanks.

Dave.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The only way to make the tapes appendable again is to increase the AP setting for the media set that they belong to. There is nothing else in the GUI or BEMCLI to do so. Appending to a tape will not affect the data that are already on the tape

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The only way to make the tapes appendable again is to increase the AP setting for the media set that they belong to. There is nothing else in the GUI or BEMCLI to do so. Appending to a tape will not affect the data that are already on the tape

sdo

Hi pkh - if I increase the append time of the media set to something that therefore goes beyond the sum of 'original use date of a piece of tape media + append time' will this be effective for any and all media that are already members of the media set (i.e. those tape media which are currently in use) ?   Or does the new 'append time' value only take affect when next/new/additional media are selected?

i.e. can I temporarily increase 'append time' of a media set - so that media get used by a waiting backup/duplication job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you change the AP, it takes effect immediately and it applies to all the media in the media set. If a job has already started, then any change in AP will not have any effect for it. If it cannot find appendable media, it would either request for an overwritable tape or fail

sdo

Thank you again.

sdo

Apologies - one more question - if a duplication job is waiting for available media, and I then increase the media set append time, and then 'OK' acknowledge the 'media required alert' - will the waiting duplication job re-evaluate available media (and thus continue normally) - or does the duplication job have to be manually cancelled, and manually re-submitted for it to now select from what is now available media?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When a job cannot locate an appendable tape it switches to searching for overwriteable, once this change occurs it never changes back to looking for appendable.

Oh an be aware that if a job fills the first tape and then asks for media the second tape request is always an overwrite request.

sdo

Thanks Colin.