cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is installed on this computer. Uninstall the Remote Agent before continuing with the installation.

Notlupus
Level 3

Dear all,

I am using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 to back up about 65 different servers, there is just one (actually two but lets focus on this one) I am having problems with. Whenever I try to remotely install the network agent I get the following error message: "Another version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is installed on this computer. Uninstall the Remote Agent before continuing with the installation."

When I check the server there is no version of the Remote Agent installed, as it is absent from the Configuration Screen -> Software and there are no registry keys to be deleted as per Symantecs instructions (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128617).

I did find a folder Symantec in the Program Files, but the last modified dates are from 2007 and 2011 leading me to believe a trial version or something has been installed at some point.

What can I do? The system is Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you deleted all instances of Symantec from the registry and from the installation directory?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV

Hi,

Have you deleted all instances of Symantec from the registry and from the installation directory?

Thanks!

Notlupus
Level 3

I had deleted HKLM\Software\Symantec and C:\Program Files\Symantec, but it had no effect. I just rebooted the server however and gave it another shot and now it seems to be able to install the agent just fine.

I feel kinda silly now, thanks a lot for your help anyway.

CraigV

Sure, no worries. To be honest I wouldn't have thought you required a reboot, but sometimes this is obviously required.

Thanks!

Notlupus
Level 3

Well, it would seem I have cheered too soon as I still have a single server that just won't accept the Backup Exec Agent.

I've cleared away all traces of Symantec from the Program Files directory, I've cleared away all the traces that I could find of Symantec in the registry and have rebooted, but I still keep getting the same error message when i try to install the agent.

What other options are there at this point? Any obvious register keys that I have missed maybe?

CraigV

...is it the same error message, or a different one?

Have you done a search instead od just deleting the "usual suspects" on disk and in the registry?

Also, have you tried a local/remote installation with any AV stopped and disabled?

Thanks!

Notlupus
Level 3

Hi Craig,

It is still the same error message; Another version of the Backup Exec Agent for Windows is installed on this computer. Uninstall the agent before continuing with the installation.

Yes I actively searched for any traces of Symantec products both on disk and in the registry. I've deleted everything I could find (which wasn't very much). I've also deleted the BackupExecAgentAccelerator service.

I've also tried to manually install the agent, but I am greeted with the exact same error message, with the manual installation it comes in the form of an onscreen popup.

As it is now I am as clean as I can possibly be yet Backup Exec still seems to think there are traces left of an older installation, I hope you can give me a tip on how to proceed from here!

[Edit]While I appreciate your time, I don't really want to deal with this problem anymore. I can have the server remade within half an hour so i'm going to opt and do that. I've got 50+ other servers which are working fine with the Backup Agent, so I'm going to consider this a freak incident.

Thanks again, I'll close this call now.

CraigV

Sure thing, and hope it doesn't happen again!

Thanks!