cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-Virus Exclusions for Backup Exec - Server and Servers With Remote Agent Installed

Peter_Carlson
Level 2

Hi All,

We're deploying a new anti-virus product on our network and would like to install it on our Backup Exec Server (12.5 SP3).  However, I can't seem to find a list of recommended directories/files/etc on the Backup Exec server or on clients with the Remote Agent to exclude from scanning.  Are there any that shouldn't be touched by scans?  Any input/links to appropriate KB articles etc would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Peter-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336648.htm
A quick search on the Symantec support site is what you needed.

But I will say, that best practices apply and not just BE specific items...  BE runs a SQL instance, you want to do the MS best practices there, the image files, the B2D, etc...  Common sense, and do your own homework from the support site!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

teiva-boy
Level 6
 http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336648.htm
A quick search on the Symantec support site is what you needed.

But I will say, that best practices apply and not just BE specific items...  BE runs a SQL instance, you want to do the MS best practices there, the image files, the B2D, etc...  Common sense, and do your own homework from the support site!

Peter_Carlson
Level 2
Hi Teiva-Boy,

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate the feedback.  I did indeed see that KB article and felt like more definitive information might be helpful (if it exists).  I mean basically it is just recommending for "testing purposes" that you add an exclusion for the install Dir, backup to disk locations or disable on access IF you are experiencing performance issues.  It sounded a lot like the default answer you get from a lot of application vendors "Hey if X or Y app isn't working try disabling On Access Protection and see if that works".  Many vendors have a list of particular directories and exe's that have been known to interfere with program functionality; this is what I was looking for (much like Microsoft has setup in a KB article for their products).

However, yes I agree about general best practices as well for exclusions.  I should have mentioned that we already have recommended exclusions setup for SQL (among other reccomended exclusions from Microsoft).

Thanks,

Peter

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I like to exclude the entire BE directory both on the server and clients...  But you can also probably get by with just the main EXE files too, beremote.exe and on the BE server, the main program directory.

Dev_T
Level 6

Invaled URL

Invalid URL

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Hanafi 

You are 100% right. In 2009, Backup Exec was still a Symantec product. 

The old Symantec docs do not redirect to Veritas.

If you need 2019 info, please start a new discussion.