cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to do this type of logging in BE2012?

tommy_robinson
Level 2

In detailed logging, besides every file name, I want the time it takes to backup the file, or at least the time stamp of when it was backed up.  Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

Check out reports on pg 555 of the Administrators Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5211

teiva-boy
Level 6

The catalog of that level of detail would be INSANE!  Realistically, for performance reasons of any backup software, this level of detail would cause issues with scaclability and performance of their internal database and catalog size.

I would recommend a logical grouping of files, and set specific backup policies for those files/folders, so that you can track them in a more granular fashion.  While you wont get to a file level in most cases, you can better narrow down metrics to a specifc group of files or data set.

tommy_robinson
Level 2

You would think that level would be insane, but BE already keeps the modified date and time of every file, so to add a timestamp of backup completed for every file shouldn't be out of the question.  I did this very detailed logging last night (each file name & modified date and time) and noted no decrease in performance from when I just had the very basic summary material.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It will use up disk space in the job logs folder at a huge rate if you log every filename, and that will have an  impact on the media server (eventually). This is why we do not have set the default to that level.

Also if you ever log a support case and are asked to debug by the technician, unless the technician asks for that level, then please set the jog log detail level back to standard while troubleshooting as the size of the job log files can make evidence transfer and analysis very difficult.

EDIT: Oh and to answer your question the time of the start of the backup job is recorded as part of the set name, for the purposes of the backup time, because we use a snapshot process, this time is the backup time, irrespective of exactly what time during the job the file transfer actually occured. If you choose to snap volumes one at a time then you may have to work out the start time of the volume instead of the job, but I think that is also in the job log (on default detail level) I doubt you can specifically report on this information even though it is in the job log.