cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending large jobs

paul_st
Level 3
 I have 2 80/160/ DLT drives and 6 jobs that run daily.

We were running the jobs as follows:
Drive1
Job1
Job2
Job4
Job5
Job6

Drive 2
Job3

Jobs 1,2,4,5,6 accounted for approx 38GB and Job 3 has now larger than a single tape, it needs about 3GB of space to finish (approx 110GB total)
I created a drive pool with both Drive 1 & 2 and set all the above jobs to use this pool knowing that Drive 1 has plenty of room after running all the other jobs.

Problem
Everything goes fine and the larger jobs does wait until drive 1 is avaialbe then continues as expected BUT all the jobs that were on that tape are gone.
I confirmed that Job 3 is set to "Append to media, terminate if no appendable media is availabe." I am guessing that this only applies when the job starts but when it moves to the next tape it overwrites?

Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 In Tools--Options--Media Mgt, change Overwrite from None to Partial

Mark

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

paul_st
Level 3
 We are running Veritas BE 9.1

Paul

THarry
Level 5
 Hi Paul,

Yes, whenever a jobs spans more than one media, the first media can be appended, but all subsequent media in the job will overwrite.
You should make sure that the media set you are targeting has an appropriate overwrite protection period, so the backup you just made doesn't get overwritten, and an append period that will be as long as your backups take (24 hours maybe?).
You could then set all your jobs to append, or overwrite if appendable media not available.

Harry

paul_st
Level 3
 We run our backups as follows:

Mon, Tues, Wed Thur (rotated weekly)
Fri1, Fri2, Fri3, Fri4, Fri5
MonthEnd 1, 2, 3....12

Now it looks from the Help that I should create 3 media sets say Daily, Weekly, Monthly and set the periods to:
Daily - Overwrite 6days, Append 24hrs
Weekly - Overwrite 3wks, Append 24hrs
Monthly - Overwrite 10mths, Append 24hrs

I am reading the help on setting the append and overwrite periods. The Append is straight fwd with #, measurement (hrs, days, weeks etc).

The Overwrite is just 1 field with NONE in it. How do I specify days, weeks, months?

Marksw
Level 5
 In Tools--Options--Media Mgt, change Overwrite from None to Partial

Mark