cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending to media: "the operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed"

Dave_e
Level 3

I am getting:

"the job failed with the following error: the operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed"

whenever I try to backup to media using the "append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available." I have checked the media set selected in the job, and there is plenty of appendable media. However, just to make sure, I created a new media set with two brand new tapes, verified append to media is "infinite", and associated it with the job. No change. So I create a new job just to make sure it isn`t a setting within the job. No change. Restarting services has no affect. So I go into the job and without making any other changes, select "append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available" and the job runs fine. Obviously, this isn`t a solution though. 

Suggestions?

We are running Backup Exec 2014 ver 14.1 Rev 1786

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot append to a blank tape. You can only append to takes which already had something on it. What you are experiencing is expected. Why don't you want to overwrite your tapes? Are you aware that BE will only append to the first tape? It will need an overwritable tape for the second and subsequent tapes

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot append to a blank tape. You can only append to takes which already had something on it. What you are experiencing is expected. Why don't you want to overwrite your tapes? Are you aware that BE will only append to the first tape? It will need an overwritable tape for the second and subsequent tapes