cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Error in bedsshadow.dll Remote Agent module after upgrade from 11d 6235 to 11d 7170

Artem_Ostapenko
Level 3
Hello,

After recent upgrade of BE from 11d 6235 to 11d 7170 it became impossible to backup local system state on Media server. Remote agent service terminates unexpectedly during backup and the following error appears at application log:
Faulting application beremote.exe, version 11.0.7170.0, faulting module bedsshadow.dll, version 11.0.7170.0, fault address 0x0006bafd.

Job consequently fails with "Unable to connect to RA error" which seems logical because RA service terminates during system state backup.

Environment: 2003 R2 Ent Server with SP2 applied and with File Server Management Installed (Quotas and Storage Reports management in place)
Can be somehow related to FSRM as beremote errors follow File Server Storage Reports Manager service messages in event log.

Error is reproduced each time system state backup is run on Media Server. If you create a new job ( to exclude "post-upgrade" behavior of the old jobs) and select just System State for backup it is still the same.

Any Ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Good morning Artem,

Run FSRM quota report so that the C:\System Volume Information\SRM\Reports\  folder is not empty. If the folder is not empty, try stopping the FSRM service and run the backup again.

Regards,
Greg

Artem_Ostapenko
Level 3
Hi Greg,

Thanks for reply. C:\System Volume Information\SRM\Reports was not empty because I had to populate it with quota reports to make version 11d 6235 work with system state backup (which helped actually)
Now on 7170  system state backup fails even with FSRM service stopped as you recommended. I've just tested it. Also error was easily reproduced on a second server in test lab environment - so this looks like not just a particular system installation problem.

Message preceding beremote error  in application log is

Dfsr (2132) \\.\D:\System Volume Information\DFSR\database_52B6_E9A0_B6E9_84B7\dfsr.db: The database engine started a new instance (0).

Then agent fails in 20 seconds or so

Do you know any other workarounds or solutions? What shall I do next?

PaulD_Rus
Level 4
do you have any exlusions in your ShadowCopyComponents list?
if yes, try to remove them living only *.* selection without "/EXCLUDE"

Is  0x0006bafd correct fault address?

BE development team should more carefuly use "wcslen" function. Check, recheck and then again check passing argument.

Artem_Ostapenko
Level 3
No, no exclusions in Shadow Components list, just *.*
And yes, 0x0006bafd is correct fault address.

Is this going to be addressed in any way? At least some workaround?
I am really dissapointed, because my production backup environment is severely affected.
How can be released such an unstable version after all?

Today I see same beremote application errors on Media Server even with backing up remote servers, though remote agent service itself keeps running (no local system state/shadow compoinents selected)
And job just hangs.

Is 11d 7170 for production environment really? Is it a level of stability one should expect from backup software

PaulD_Rus
Level 4
0x0006bafd is quite weird address. I looked into bedsshadow.dll 876624bytes, version 11.0.7170.0.
The nearest machine instruction is located at 0x0006bafс and then 0x0006baff.
You should open support case. ( free tester :) )

Artem, could you please share some files: beremote.exe, bedsshadow.dll and beremote.exe.hdmp

to find beremote.exe.hdmp try to enable error reporting (control panle>system>advanced).
then crash beremote, then relogin to system where crash occured.  MS will ask you to send crash report. Do not cancel and do not send. Go to temp directory in order to find mdmp or hdmp files.

Message Edited by PaulD Rus on 04-14-200705:12 AM

Rod_V
Level 3
Partner
Hello, We are evaluating the Backup Exec 11 d solution and just updated to 7170 + hotfixes 1,3,4,5,7,8.
Deployed agents after all hotfixes installed, and I got the same agent failure happening in the bedsshadow.dll at same offset as described in the thread.

Do you know if the problem has been addressed since April 07 by Symantec ?
If not, i see only choice, downgrading to 6235 the agents, or the entire product.

Agent running on Windows 2003 Entreprise R2 + SP2

Thank you in advance for any information.

Rod. 

STeve_O
Level 5
If you see DFSR under shadow copy - user data

Charles_CNH
Not applicable
Any update on this issue?

Rod_V
Level 3
Partner
Thank you for the tip, by the way the veritas kb article seems not accessible, i figured out that i had to unselect the  DFSR user data item.

Disabling DFSR user data in Shadow copy components prevents the remote agent hang.
Seems that DFS user data allows to backup a DFS tree following the DFS referrals, but i may be wrong.
Not useful for me.

Explains why the bug is occurring on R2 platforms (with DFSR installed).