cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign Backup Job to Media Set

TimGowen
Level 3

I have a regular backup for files which runs full on the weekend and incremental on other days. But I also have a monthly backup of images and sound file which runs full every month and incremental every week.

The thing is, I need a tape set for one type of job but not the other. So my tapes for images/sound are a different colour so that they can be stored separately and located easily.

But, my regular backup job will choose a tape from the set for images and use that. It seems that after the overwrite protection expires the tapes in my autoloader can be used at random. I'm sure there's a manual page for this but I cannot find it...

1 REPLY 1

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You are correct in that when tapes become overwritable, they also become available to ANY backup job.  There is no loyalty once a tape becomes overwritable.

One workaround is to partition your tape library into two logical libraries, assuming your library supports that feature (most do, if you have multiple tape drives).  There are some drawbacks to this, so you will have to examine the pros & cons of your exact situation.