cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Tape Label

IvanMhel
Not applicable

I am new to Symantec Backup Exec 2014. Here is the scenario:

I already labeled a tape named "SERVER_FULL_Weekly". Now, I want my full backup job to search for tape named "SERVER_FULL_Weekly" before it runs, but I cannot see where to set this option.

I tried to go to Backup Options > Storage > Full, under Storage: there are only 3 options

1. Any tape cartridge Storage

2. Any Disk Storage

3.Tape drive 0001 ("Label of tape that is currently inserted on the tape drive")

Please help.

Thanks,

Rommel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no way to do what you ask , i.e. there is no option to only use a tape based on the name.

The way Backup Exec works (on a very basic level) is that it knows what is currently in the tape drive or libarry slots and compares overwrite and append timings s stored against the same tape(s) inside the Backup Exec database. If (depending on job settings etc) it can use the tape it finds, it does. If there is more than one tape that the job can use, in the library, then a date based calculation based on previous usage applies.

You can limit Backup Exec to only using a specific slot (or slots) in the library by using a partition - however this configuration may cause job failures if no usable tapes are found in the limited set of slots in your configured partition.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no way to do what you ask , i.e. there is no option to only use a tape based on the name.

The way Backup Exec works (on a very basic level) is that it knows what is currently in the tape drive or libarry slots and compares overwrite and append timings s stored against the same tape(s) inside the Backup Exec database. If (depending on job settings etc) it can use the tape it finds, it does. If there is more than one tape that the job can use, in the library, then a date based calculation based on previous usage applies.

You can limit Backup Exec to only using a specific slot (or slots) in the library by using a partition - however this configuration may cause job failures if no usable tapes are found in the limited set of slots in your configured partition.