Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with Creating A Custom Report

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

Hi!

I have a need to create a custom report using the field selections, "Job Start Time" and "Job End Time" where I capture any jobs for the specified time frame I enter.  My BE2012 database maintenance is configured to keep job logs for 90 days.

Why is it when I use a date that is within the 90-day period for either the "Job Start Time" and "Job End Time," I get no report results? 

For instance, I used the days "02/14/2014 12:00:00 PM" as the "Job Start Time" and "02/21/2014 11:59:59 PM" for the "Job End Time."  The report results I get is as follows:

There were no records that met all criteria requested. 

Do I need to add another field selection to the filter mix?  If so, what would that be?

I could run my report using this alternate method:  I can actually successfully run a report with the filter criteria:  "Job Start Time" IN LAST (Look Back) 30 Days.  The report results I get has extraneous information I do not want and must weed out.  I find this to be a very inefficient reporting alternative to using the "Job Start Time" and "Job End Time".

Any help on this one is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello GrayC,

Based on your requirements, instead of the Custom Reports part, I'd rather suggest you to go to the pre-configured reports. You need to select Jobs from the Report Groups and then select Operations Overview. There, you can specify the Date Range and get the information you need. 

Grayc
Level 4
Certified
sidd3009, Thanks for your help! I didn't think about using the Operations Overview report. This is a great summary report but it did not allow me to enter a specific date range. The only option I had to "customize" this report was to select "the number of days before the day of the report run: or "...after the day of the report run." What I am trying to do is create a report similar to the Report Groups > Jobs > Job Summary where I enter specific job start and end dates. Doing a Job Summary based on "Hours" is not helpful when I am asked to provided a a job summary for the period 10-14 February and it is 4 March.

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Your concern is similar to this post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-report-ranges-disable-job-summary-report . 

You might want to post the requirements you have in the 'Ideas' section. In the mean time I'll also try to investigate more about it. 

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

Thanks, sidd3009!  There now is a post in the 'Ideas' section regarding creating reports using dates versus using a number of hours or days.

In my opinion, the current Backup Exec 2012 reporting capabilities are very counter-intuitive and not very useful.