cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance with Media Sets and B2D

BH
Level 3
Hello, I would REALLY appreciate some help from someone highly skilled in B2D and Media Sets.  I'm not sure I am setting this up properly.

Backup Exec 12.5:

I have created a Policy Template that is simlar to the default GFS template

Basically I have the following 3 Templates in the policy:

1 - Weekly Full
2 - Daily Incremental
3 - 60 Day Full

* ALL 3 TEMPLATES ARE SET TO APPEND/OVERWRITE

Each template has 2 backup jobs created from it - one for an exchange backup, the other for everything else)

I have created 2 BD2 Folders:

Y: Weekly Backups - For the Weekly Full and Daily Incremental Jobs - Should be big enough to hold several weeks of backup
Z: 60 Day Backups - For the 60 Day Ful Jobs - Should be big enough for about 1 year of full backups (every 60 days)

My current configuration of media sets is this:
Media Set 1 - "Archive Backups - 60 Day Retention": Overwrite Infinite, Append 1 Day
Media Set 2 - "Weekly Backups - 2 Week Retention": Overwrite Infinite, Append 2 Weeks

My MEDIA MANAGMENT options on the server are set to NONE

SO:

I need help on configuring the media sets for these two jobs.  I NEED to make sure that:
- The Weekly/Daily are kept for 2 weeks
- The 60 Day are kept forever (when the disk is full - I want to be prompted, so we can archive the drive and put a new one in)

In addition, I would LIKE the following:
- The 60 Day Jobs are always on their OWN B2D file - This just makes it easier to associate that when I see 4 B2D files in that set I know I have the past 8 months (4x60day).
- The Weekly/Daily to be their own B2D file for each week - Same as above, makes it easier to associate.  E.G.  BD2000001 would be Week1 Full + all daily incrementals, then BD2000002 is Week2 + all daily incremental, then BD2000001 gets overwritten on 3rd week (since retention is 2 weeks)

I'm not sure my settings are correct, and I would have to wait months to see - so I would like some confirmation.
If someone can tell me if this will work, and if not tell me HOW it should be configured and also WHY would really be apprecaited.

I also would like some information regarding best practices on managing media sets and labels with B2D configurations.  With tapes it was much easier to know that you have Monday's or Tuesday's tape (or Week1, Week2 if doing a full week to one tape).  Are we not supposed to care about this labeling with B2D?  When I look on the disk it is very confusing what jobs are associated with what media set in the B2D folder, especially when this is combined with all the IMG folders from System State and Exchange.

Thank you in advance for you time!
0 REPLIES 0