cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach a Exchange Backup to an existing backup in a BTD-Media

Dirk_Loeffler
Level 3

Hi,

in BE12.5 I have a task that only backups Exchange. I want to attach the daily backup to an existion BTD-folder every day and have set up a media set policy "attachable without any limit" (sorry, it is a german system, I do not have the exact english phrases...). The backup files itself have the flag "not attachable"

When I run the job to attached a Exchange backup to an existing Exchage backup I get:

Backup job to tape fails with error "0xe0000f16 - The operation failed to acquire the minimum number...

With normal data-Backups I do not see such an error. Is there something special the way an Exchange backup is made, so there cannot be attached something?

Thanks in advance.

Dirk

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make sure that the job have a media set assigned to it and that media set exists. If you renamed that particular media set recently, you have to change it in job properties also. 

Regards.....

Dirk_Loeffler
Level 3

Thanks, but the media set exists and was not renamed. When I chose "overwride" instead of "attach" the backup is successfully.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What abt free space in B2D folder?

Dirk_Loeffler
Level 3

The partition has 880 GB free, in BE the configured size of BdD files is 1000GB, the backup size is ~55 GB

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If there is no appendable media in the media set, this error occurs as well.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What is the Append period for the media set?

That said, it is generally advised that you NOT use append for B2D jobs, since every BKF file in an append family shares the same OPP (Expiration Date) that is reset each time a BKF file (new or old) is closed

B2D jobs should all be Overwrite Only, with an OPP (Overwrite period) that  meets you needs and available disk space

Dirk_Loeffler
Level 3

Yes, thats it correct. It shows me the media as "non appendable". But the media set is set to "appendable - no time limit" and "overwride after 12 days". When I backup non-Exchange-data I am able to append.

What I wanted to have is an Echange backup for every day of the week (MO-FR) in one B2D folder. MO overwrites, Tue-FR appended. One folder for week A and one for week B. After 13 days week A should be overwritten.

Actually I got it to work by using one single B2D folder per day and "overwrite" as default. This ends up in having 10 B2D folders.

I simply wonder why I cannot append something on Exchange backups....

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can achieve this with a single B2D folder also.

Create media set with 1 hour/none append period and Overwrite protection of 13 days.

Start B2D jobs as Overwrite always.

Be will create a seperate bkf file for each days backup till two weeks and then will start overwritng the oldest among all bkf files.

Also set the media management setting to "Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwriting SCRATCH media".

It is always recommended to overwrite bkf files and not to append to, as there is no advantage in appending to bkf files.

Regards....