cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach a physical tape drive (SAS) to Hyper-V 2012 Virtual Machine

chris48
Level 4
Partner

I will have Backup Exec 2012 running on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine which is hosted on a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V server and want to know if it is possible to connect a physical LTO5 tape drive / library to the Hyper-V server and make it available to the Backup Exec VM.

I have previously been advised that it is possible by a Symantec engineer but since read that this is not the case, or if it is, it isn't supported.  Does anyone know how I can do this or get around the problem?  If there are any 3rd party products which can help, then that could also possibly be an option (depending on security accreditation).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Strictly not supported, and I don't think that Hyper-V does SCSI pass-through to a VM. Even if it does, Symantec isn't obliged to assist you in any way if you have an issue, unless you can reproduce this issue in a physical environment.

Best bet here would be to load Server 2008 R2 onto a physical server (if you have 1 free) and then load BE 2012 onto this.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Strictly not supported, and I don't think that Hyper-V does SCSI pass-through to a VM. Even if it does, Symantec isn't obliged to assist you in any way if you have an issue, unless you can reproduce this issue in a physical environment.

Best bet here would be to load Server 2008 R2 onto a physical server (if you have 1 free) and then load BE 2012 onto this.

Thanks!

chris48
Level 4
Partner

I have recently spoken to Symantec support again about this.  They advise that as long as the VM can see the device, which they believe is poossible (specifically SAS connected), then Backup Exec can use it.  They then referred me to Microsoft to find out if it supported / possible with Hyper-V for which I have raised a post on their forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/4987ad57-39ef-4ab6-8644-60fa9a45357d/can-a-physical-tape-device-sas-connected-be-attached-to-a-virtual-server-which-sits-on-a-hyperv?forum=virtualmachingmgrhyperv

From further research it is looking as though it is not possible with Hyper-V, although I am still investigating.

If anyone knows any potential dates when Symantec plan to make Backup Exec compatible with Windows 2012 R2 (Backup Exec server, not the remote agent) please can they advise me?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See this blog on BE 2012 R2 availability

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-r2-update-news-about-windows-server-2012-r2-support-and-target-ga

R2 will support Server 2012 as a media server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure who you spoke to but I have been specifically asking whether the new Windows 2012 Hyper-V Pass through features are supported for tape drives and libraries and currently they are not officially supported. It might work but it would be down to customers to test backups, restores and the stability/reliability of device access.