cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting file restore but only able to restore top level folder, not sub folders

isisym
Level 3

Hello, I have Symantec Backup Exec R3 on a Windows 2003 server and I'm trying to restore a file from a sub folder, but so far when I attempt to do a restore I can only see the top level folder. I'm running the restore from the home tab using Restore new job using wizard. Any ideas?

You can see it below in the screen shot, but for example: 

CSFILE

Backup all of E

CSIDATA

Sub folders

When I go to restore, I only see the below with no subfolders:

CSFILE

Backup all of E

CSIDATA

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you trying to restore DFS data?

If its DFS then you need to configure backups through Shadow Copy Components else you wont be 

to restore anything

isisym
Level 3

Yes, the file I'm trying to restore is being backed up to the server in the screen shot as well as being replicated to DFS. For the Shadow Copy Components is this something I can enable within Symantec or Windows only?

AmolB

In the selection list itself you will find shadow copy components, its below system state in the

screenshot.

Note: System State and Shadow Copy Components are part of the server.

isisym
Level 3

Found it and enabled it, does system state need to be checked as well?

AmolB

System state backup will come handy if you want to perform Disaster Recovery of the server.

If server is a Domain Controller then backup of the system state is must as it contains Active Directory DB

isisym
Level 3

I'll try a restore tomorrow for the sub folders and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the info. 

isisym
Level 3

Ok I enabled shadow copies, but my the speed of the backup with Shadow copy components is very bad. I went from 480MB/min to 20MB/min. Any idea why this is so slow?

AmolB

Earlier data was not getting backed up hence speed was 480MB but 20MB for shadow copy  is way too low.

Where are you targetting the backups

isisym
Level 3

I'm backing up the data from the server to a Firewire 800 external 3 TB hard rive via Symantec. The external hard drive is directly attached to the server where the data resides. 

On my backup jobs that are not using DFS / Shadow copy components I'm getting 400MB/min + but on the shadow copy backups its 20MB/min.