cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Inventory tape drive once the tape is inserted into the single drive

Symanticus
Level 6

Hi All,

Is this possible to automate the tape inventory process based on the Insert event not the scheduled job ?

because when i insert the tape manually i must initiate the inventory job myself since this is just single LTO-4 drive.

Thanks,

Albert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

IMHO, an inventory is not needed of a stand alone drive.  Simply place the desired media in the drive before launching the job.  Backup Exec essentially inventories any selected media before running a backup to it to make sure it is the correct/desired/usable media.

An erase job does NOT do the same verification, which is why you get the warning before running an erase job to make sure you are erasing the correct media.

There is no need to "scan" a stand-alone tape drive as a scan job reads the bar codes and stand-alone tape drives don't have bar code readers.  Please explain why you would ever want to schedule a scan of a library?

PS: this thread seems to be just be a duplicate of https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/simplify-tape-backup-process-be-2010-r2-using-single-lto-4-tape-drive from the same poster, one day apart....

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Albert

Its not possible to automate the inventory process it can be done only through scheduling.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As amol said you cannot automate a inventory job when you insert a Tape .. you can can set the following option ---Tool--Option --Preference --Include robotic library inventory job when the service starts.. So that each time the services are restarted ,the inventory Job would run .

Symanticus
Level 6

i guess you're right man, so the only way to do here is by placing the tape correctly before the backup job runs.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Since you need to inventory a stand alone drive every time you swap tapes, and cannot schedule an inventory, you can create a BEMCMD job file and run it with Windows Task Scheduler shortly before the backup is due to start

If you have a loader and use bar codes, you can schedule a scan job

Symanticus
Level 6

ah, thanks for the info Ken, I appreciate your helps. Before you told me about the BE commandline I wouldn't have a clue for that.

Cheers,

Albert

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot schedule a scan job or use BEMCMD to initiate a scan.  I have put up ideas for these features.

Symanticus
Level 6

yes, that'd be cool Mr. Pkh, where's the link in the ideas page so that we all can vote for that ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Thanks for reminding me. 

The scheduled scan would reduce wear and tear on the mechanism vs the Inventory

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

IMHO, an inventory is not needed of a stand alone drive.  Simply place the desired media in the drive before launching the job.  Backup Exec essentially inventories any selected media before running a backup to it to make sure it is the correct/desired/usable media.

An erase job does NOT do the same verification, which is why you get the warning before running an erase job to make sure you are erasing the correct media.

There is no need to "scan" a stand-alone tape drive as a scan job reads the bar codes and stand-alone tape drives don't have bar code readers.  Please explain why you would ever want to schedule a scan of a library?

PS: this thread seems to be just be a duplicate of https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/simplify-tape-backup-process-be-2010-r2-using-single-lto-4-tape-drive from the same poster, one day apart....

Symanticus
Level 6

thanks guys for all of the reply and explanation, now i learn something after reading all of the reply on this thread.

Cheers.