cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoloader not load the next tape

Badou
Level 2

Hi,

We have a Backup Exec 14 with all path installed. Storage is an autoloader with 8 tapes in a physical server sas. We have erase all tape and give a label "Backup full' of all tapes. Job use a media in a Backup Full Media but when the first tape is full, backup exec don't want to use the other tape. However the other tape is empty. The autoloader and the drive tape is in "On line" status. But sometimes I can see they are in a "active" status during 1 or 2 seconds. Have you an idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are the tapes that you want/expect to be used marked as overwritable or in the "scratch" media set?

A common mistake is users that manually move tapes into a "desired" media set.  That causes the tape to immediately get the overwrite protection of the media set, which frequently makes it unavailable for use soon.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
You don't mention your version of OS, but if it is Windows 2008/2008 R2 then make sure you're using the Veritas drivers, and for this you can use tapeinst.exe to install them. Also make sure you're using the Unknown Medium Changer driver for the autoloader's robotics.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Are the tapes that you want/expect to be used marked as overwritable or in the "scratch" media set?

A common mistake is users that manually move tapes into a "desired" media set.  That causes the tape to immediately get the overwrite protection of the media set, which frequently makes it unavailable for use soon.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

give a label "Backup full' of all tapes

If you really do this and all the tapes have the same label, how are you going to distinguish one tape from another?  Similiarly, how do you expect BE to distinguish one tape from another?

Hi,

@CraigV wrote:
You don't mention your version of OS, but if it is Windows 2008/2008 R2 then make sure you're using the Veritas drivers, and for this you can use tapeinst.exe to install them. Also make sure you're using the Unknown Medium Changer driver for the autoloader's robotics.

My OS is Windows 2008 R2. So, how Can I installed the unknown Medium Changer driver?

Larry_Fine wrote:

Tapes I want to use are in the scratch media set. I don't understand only one things :

before, we have always marked tapes and it has always run !!! What's the problem with Backup Exec?? We have always a news problem

wrote:

give a label "Backup full' of all tapes

If you really do this and all the tapes have the same label, how are you going to distinguish one tape from another?  Similiarly, how do you expect BE to distinguish one tape from another?

Thanks of all. I test to Erase all of tapes less marked scratch media set and I you answerd

Double post. Sorry

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Go into Device Manager on the media server and look for the robotic changer. If shouldn't have the vendor's driver installed (it will show something like: HP 1/8G2 for instance). if it does, then go into the drivers tab and change it to Unknown Medium Changer. Also make sure that the Veritas drivers are used for the tape drive (use tapeinst.exe to install them). Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is Backup Exec giving you an alert when after the first tape is full?  That alert may be giving you a major clue why it will not start on the second tape.  Look for hidden alerts, depending upon your settings they may not be popping up for you.

Hi,

With tape in overwritable it's ok, backup Exec load the next tape. Before, tape in a media set don't cause any problem. Before what? I don't know.

For the notification I have a "Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command".