cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D Backups on Backup Exec 2010 R3 Running Slow

JDehner
Level 3

I have Backup Exec 2010 R3, running RAWS.  I am backing up Windows 2008 R2 VM's and one Windows Exchange 2010 VM.  The backups started to run very slow this week, by that I mean they are running under 100mb per minute.  This makes them not finish on time.  I have another backup system that has the same setup.  It is not having any issues.  I have verified the jobs are the same and went menu by menu.  I have noticed that this appears to be a somewhat widespread problem.  I was hoping that someone out there had a solution.  Thank you very much.

Jeremy

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jeremy,

Have you started with a restart of the media server?

Thanks!

JDehner
Level 3

CraigV

We had a power outage a couple of days ago.  The systems were properly shutdown (including the media server).  They are still running slow though.  Do you think that a proper reboot would help?  Thanks in advance. 

CraigV

Might not be a bad idea!

JDehner
Level 3

Okay.  I will schedule that and give it a try.  I will post back here if that fixes that issue or not. 

JDehner
Level 3

Okay was able to do the full reboot.  Nothing changed.  We are still running at 104mb per minute.  The only differance between the two setups is we have HIPS running in logging mode on the setup that is running slow.  It is not blocking anything but just scannning, do you think that might be slowing it down?

CraigV

OK...so where are you backing up too? If to disk, check the fragmentation level on the drive and see if it needs a defrag.

JDehner
Level 3

Okay so after another reboot of both the Media Server and the Exchange server, I am still experiancing slow backukps.  I started a job and it starts out okay, runs up to 700mb (not great but way better) then it starts to slowly come down.  One other thing that I am noticing as I have been watching the job, once it hits 100% complete (which is still not even 10% of the data), Backup Exec goes into a reclaim space operation on the GRT folder and it looks like that is dragging down the speed even more.  What is the reclaim space operation?  I have over 1tb free on the backup drive that this job is running on.  Can I pause that operation or have it run on its own when no backup jobs are running?

CraigV

You might want to check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130103

There are 2 operations daily (you can't schedule them), so see when your backup is running and how long it takes. Might be worthwhile starting it a bit earlier to see if you can finish it sooner, or at least get through most of it.

Thanks!

JDehner
Level 3

Craig

it is a disk.  i can check the fragmentation.  It had 16% fragmentation.  I am runnig a defrag now. 

JDehner
Level 3

Craig Thanks for the article.  I am letting the defrag run now.  I will reschedule the job to run a little earlier as well and see if that helps.  Thanks. 

JDehner
Level 3

Craig

Okay I just finished up the Dfrag of the drive and still the same symptoms.  It will start out a little bit higher (around 700mb) and then drop down into the 350mb range, it will stay there until it is at 100% complete then begin to drop more while it finishes up.  It will drop down to around 100mb or less if we let the job run for a super long extended period of time.  any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

CraigV

Hi,

If you open up the job when it slows to a crawl, where is it? At what stage?

Thanks!

Noah_Adams
Level 4

Make sure that you have the latest LiveUpdates, and then use the console to push any agent updates out to the servers. I had one server that would backup for over 12 hours at 100mb/min. It always hung on the system state for ~10 hours. After updating BE and the agent on the server, the job finishes in 40 minutes.

JDehner
Level 3

Okay a possible solution, i will let you know.  i unchecked the use GRT and i am running a backup now.  it is running at 1200mb.  I will then check it again and run another backup.  This should clear that folder and we could be good to go.