cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D Disk File Mgmt

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4

I've been running B2D backups for the past few nights and all backups are running nicely (around 12 servers a night). I'm using a target that is dedicated for backups so it's 4TB, but I'm worried about wasting disk space with my current setting of the max file size of 4GB. I'm trying to understand how this will work, so here's my scenario. Backup Job 1 runs and 1GB of disk space is backed up, leaving 3GB in the file. Then Backup Job 2 runs and 500MB is backed up, this appends and then you're looking at 1.5GB used? Or Does the next job write to a new file and the space is wasted? With software compression set in BE can you achieve more than the 4GB file size?

I am backing up around 150GB a night and on the weekend I will be running full backups on the weekend, which will likely be shy of 1TB. Is 4GB just right in this scenario? With that being said wit hthe max # of backup sets at the default of 100, I changed to 250 assuming my 4GB file size would allow BE to use more disk space before overwriting a prior backup file.

Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
4GB is the chunk it will keep creating when you run the backups. So if you run the backup of 20 gb then it should create 4gb * 5 bkf files each containing 4 GB of data. This is basically default setting keeping in mind that if some corruption happens then the complete data doesn't get lost. If you want to make 1 chunk to be 50 gb then you can change the B2D setting and make it 50GB. In that case it will keep creating 50 gb and will keep appending the same chunk till the time 50GB is occupied

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
4GB is the chunk it will keep creating when you run the backups. So if you run the backup of 20 gb then it should create 4gb * 5 bkf files each containing 4 GB of data. This is basically default setting keeping in mind that if some corruption happens then the complete data doesn't get lost. If you want to make 1 chunk to be 50 gb then you can change the B2D setting and make it 50GB. In that case it will keep creating 50 gb and will keep appending the same chunk till the time 50GB is occupied

Sean_Donnelly
Level 4
Okay that's perfect then I will adjust according to my environment and montior from there. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Sean