cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D failure to backup Exchange 2003 sp2

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi folks, I'm getting random failures when backing up Exchange 2003 sp2 to disk. It's failing on at least 50% of the jobs but works perfectly if I backup to tape (Ultrium 3). The final error code is: 0xe00084af "The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed". In the error pane; "Database was not found, or could not be accessed".

Operating system: Windows 2003 r2

BackupExec v12.5

I've made sure that no other jobs are running at the same time.

Any idea what the problem might be ??

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gabble,

Check the 2 TNs below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53031

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH61642

Thanks!

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Thanks for the quick response, Craig

I think the possible solution is more likely to be in the first article but I'll work my way through it and report back.

Gabble

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi

Still no resolution to this. The backup-to-disk files reside on a NAS that runs without anti-virus and the anti-virus application has been turned off on the servers as advised in the article. SP4 had already been applied.

Any more ideas ??

Thanks again

Gab.

CraigV

...do you have enough local disk space to run the backup to the local media server with AV turned off?

THanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As a test, does a non-grt Exchange backup to NAS complete successfully ?

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Craig: Possibly ... I'll set up a job just to backup Exchange locally.

VJware: I'll try that.

I won't be in a position to try this until next week. I'll report back.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Gab 

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

... an update from initial tests;

Jobs that were failing are now backing up successfully when the GRT option is unchecked.

However, if the backup method selected is set to 'Full - Using archive bit (reset archive bit)' and the Information Store is set to 'Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)' and GRT is enabled then it backs up successfully.

The failing jobs have a backup method set to 'Differential - using archive bit (does not reset archive bit)' with the Information Store same as above. However, GRT checked = failure, GRT unchecked = success.

This is only a problem backing up to disk (NAS) as the same jobs work perfectly to tape (Ultrium 3). At least I'm now getting an Information Store backup but not much use if I want to restore individual mailboxes etc.

As said, these are only initial results and I'll keep monitoring.

Gab

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3
Ok ... seems pretty conclusive that deselecting the GRT option allows Exchange 2003 SP2 to backup to disk successfully. I would be interested to know if this is a known problem and whether a fix is available or will become available in the future. Many thanks

CraigV

Check the Known Issues section on the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/issues

...and it might also be a good time to open a support case with Symantec. If/when they assist you, post back here with that info and close this off.

Thanks!