cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D file size

Dean_r1
Level 3
Hi,  I'm backing 600GB to a backup disk folder, the default setting for the file size is 1GB - I have changed this to 1TB, is this   the correct approach?
Or, if I set it lower, will BE break down into lots of smaller files?

Thanks
Dean
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Dean,

1TB is definitely too big...it's going to create (or try too based on available space) a 1TB file which is going to take a very long time to create.
You can set it to 4GB, or even 10GB which I have done before. It's a nice middle-ground size for the files that are created. It's also going to mean moving them around is a lot easier too.
Setting it lower means BEWS will break it down into 10GB files...create a 10GB file, write to it, create another 10GB file, write to it until it's completed the backup.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi Dean,

1TB is definitely too big...it's going to create (or try too based on available space) a 1TB file which is going to take a very long time to create.
You can set it to 4GB, or even 10GB which I have done before. It's a nice middle-ground size for the files that are created. It's also going to mean moving them around is a lot easier too.
Setting it lower means BEWS will break it down into 10GB files...create a 10GB file, write to it, create another 10GB file, write to it until it's completed the backup.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

Marksw
Level 5
 Dean,
I of course wouldnt do that.  What happens if that backup to diks folder gets corrupt by the OS you will lose the whole set.  I wouldnt go more than 20gig.  Also in your setting above if a job were to start to overwrite and you cancelled the job you set would be gone. If the media was in smaller pieces then you could at least to save something.  Backup exec will keep track of all the b2d file so I know it looks messy but you just playing with fire setting b2d file size that high.

Mark

CraigV
...er, didn't I say that...?

*shrug*