cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D folder backup to tape

prakash_gm
Level 3
Partner

I have took a backup of all the .bkf(B2D folders) files on to the tape in order to free up some space on the local drive. The data on disk is kept infinitely.

Now my question is: Now all the .bkf files are on the tape, which will also be kept infinitely. If any data restore request comes for the data which was in B2D files, how do I restore from the tape?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Be aware that flat file backups of b2d data is not recommended because you can have complications using this method when it comes to a restore with the worst case scenario being have to use a complete fresh media server to do your restores so that there is no previous media inventory to cause inconsistencies.

To backup data in a B2D location you should always run duplicate jobs to tape not backup jobs of the folder structure. Which also has the advantage of being able to restore directly to the original location instead of having to restore to disk and then inventory and catalog befroe you can restore the files you need.

Explanation:

Backup Exec is a very large database with 3 key components:

1) The media inventory and catalog indexes (contained inside the SQL BEDB database)

2) The catalogs themselves (in the catalog folder)

3) The data located inside each media (Tape, BKF, IMG, OST etc)

Now think of the following:

A backup jobs uses File1.BKF through File10.BKF and then you copy the files to another location not using a duplicate job.

The media server carries on being used and creates bkfs up to say File100.bkf and then the overwrite protection on Files1 though10 lapes lapses and the next job uses Files1 through 5.

At that point you suddenly realize you need the data back from the first copy you took so you restore those files from tape and attempt to catalog and inventory them which is where your problems start as you have to deal with

1) Duplicate media names on the system

2) Catalog index refereces that relate to the newer use of the first 5 media and the fact that you now have the older files in place.

3) Catalog index implications against split media familes i.e. if the job that used Files1 through 5 was a spanned job from File100 so by putting back the older files you have broken the media family of the job that used file100 and spanned into file1.

4) Invalid catalog files in the catalog folder

5) Trying top make sure you don't directly affact your newer backup job data whilst recovering your old data.

Note: As an aside to minimize media family issues with disk based media we also recomend starting all b2d jobs with Overwrite instead of Append (unless you are using the Allocate maximum size for bkf settings on the B2D)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You would need to copy the BKF files back to a B2D device, then inventory and possible catalog those files

What you should have done is Duplicate the data to tape.  You can restore directly from tape after you do this, as the data is already in the catalog

prakash_gm
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for your reply.

I thought in this way, correct me if i am wrong:

Restore the .bkf files which were on tape.

Do a Catalog of the B2D folder files, then from the .bkf files we can restore the required files.

I have couple of questions here:

1. If i delete the .bkf files from the local drive of the server, will the entry in the Backup exec(under media or device tab) also gets deleted?

2. Could you please let me know, how to set up the duplicate the data to tape?

Thanks,

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Prakash,

You can try the link below to properly remove the bkf files from the B2D folder as well as the catalog:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH16560

How to setup duplication job:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Be aware that flat file backups of b2d data is not recommended because you can have complications using this method when it comes to a restore with the worst case scenario being have to use a complete fresh media server to do your restores so that there is no previous media inventory to cause inconsistencies.

To backup data in a B2D location you should always run duplicate jobs to tape not backup jobs of the folder structure. Which also has the advantage of being able to restore directly to the original location instead of having to restore to disk and then inventory and catalog befroe you can restore the files you need.

Explanation:

Backup Exec is a very large database with 3 key components:

1) The media inventory and catalog indexes (contained inside the SQL BEDB database)

2) The catalogs themselves (in the catalog folder)

3) The data located inside each media (Tape, BKF, IMG, OST etc)

Now think of the following:

A backup jobs uses File1.BKF through File10.BKF and then you copy the files to another location not using a duplicate job.

The media server carries on being used and creates bkfs up to say File100.bkf and then the overwrite protection on Files1 though10 lapes lapses and the next job uses Files1 through 5.

At that point you suddenly realize you need the data back from the first copy you took so you restore those files from tape and attempt to catalog and inventory them which is where your problems start as you have to deal with

1) Duplicate media names on the system

2) Catalog index refereces that relate to the newer use of the first 5 media and the fact that you now have the older files in place.

3) Catalog index implications against split media familes i.e. if the job that used Files1 through 5 was a spanned job from File100 so by putting back the older files you have broken the media family of the job that used file100 and spanned into file1.

4) Invalid catalog files in the catalog folder

5) Trying top make sure you don't directly affact your newer backup job data whilst recovering your old data.

Note: As an aside to minimize media family issues with disk based media we also recomend starting all b2d jobs with Overwrite instead of Append (unless you are using the Allocate maximum size for bkf settings on the B2D)