cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2V Restore Issue

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Guys,

I am having a problem trying to restore a Full backup set from  a VM with an agent onto an EXSI host. Below are the steps that I have done and I will also be including the screen shots of the job selection, backup options, and error message that I am getting below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Things I have done so far.
1. Inventory and Catalog the tape.
2. Made sure what I want to restore is on those tape.
3. Select Convert to Virtual from a Point in Time
4. Select the appropriate backup options and attempt to run the job.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

It sounds like you are trying to restore a Virtual machine backup to a different host?  If so, you would use the following steps in this HowTo for a Redirect Restore.  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99374

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Imosla,

I am trying to restore a Virtual Machine that is currently being backup using a Backup Agent so we are not getting the VMDK file. So when I tried to select restore the only option that I am getting can be seen below.

Complete Online Restore.JPG

Complete Online Restore 2.JPG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not use the B2V function.  What you need to do is to

1) define an empty VM on the new host

2) recover the machine on the newly-created VM as if it is a physical server.  You can use either SDR or a manual recovery.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the backup sets on tape duplicated ? I mean, are these backup sets present on any other storage too ?

Do you have a CASO-MMS environment or a multiple media servers set up ?

The error which you received in the B2V has found to occur usually for the above mentioned reasons.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello Pkh,

Might I ask why I should not be using this feature? I thought BE had made it possible with this particular version of Backup Exec 2014.

It was one of the main thing that I am being asked to test out and made sure we that it can be done.

Furthermore, what I have done so far is have the datastore define on the Exis host that I was going to restore to, but I could not restore to it. In addition, SDR was not enable until as of two weeks ago so using that as s method for my test is out of the question since I am being ask to restore tapes from 3 months ago.

Now when you mean manual recovery could you please go in to detail of what that is exactly?

Lastly to answer your question VJware.

1. The backup set are on tape.
2. We do not have a CASO-MMS environment or mutiple media servers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot do a B2V if the backup cannot do SDR.  Being SDR capable is to ensure that the backup is complete.

Vdang
Level 4

Oh in that case then do you happen to know how I would be able to do the manually recovery to a VM then? Since SDR and B2V is out of the question?

The reason why I am asking is because as of this moment it appears that I can only restore this server to itself. It is not giving me the options to restore it to a different location.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By manual recovery, I mean recovering this VM as if it is a physical machine.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212802

Vdang
Level 4

Pkh I have not yet been able to confirm about the B2V with SDR enable. However, i will try and look into this issue and see if that is possible with that option enable.

Vdang
Level 4

Hello pkh,

I was able to test out another server with SDR enable and I am still unable to store it as a BV2.