Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d 5629 SP3 Job Log Display Error;

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Hi there,

We get the following error when viewing job logs:
(I wasn't able to paste my screenshot in this window for some reason but it looks similar to the one inserted in the other post called "Backup Exec 10d Job log not displaying")

Illegal XML Character
1593: C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup
Exec\NT\Data\BEX_xxxx_02869.xml.

I've reviewed the other post describing similar issues but there wasn't really a solution after 6 replies.

From the other post they said: "Most probably, the size of the log file is quite large to be converted in XML format.  You might want to review the log in text to see whats causing the large size. As a workaround, you could try configuring non-detailed job logs."

What is to large for the log file size and how do you check this? How do you configure the non-detailed job logs?

Any thoughts on what might be causing this or better, who do we resolve this. It's very frustrating not being able to review the "failed" jobs.

Thank you!

Regards,
10 REPLIES 10

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Go to tools>--Job Logs and select Summery information only

job_log_detail.jpg

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks for the reply Dev T, however I confirmed we already have it set to include Summary information only as you show in the screenshot.

We have all our BEWS configured like that as it probably defaults to this setting.

Do you have any other suggestions as we still haven't found a resolution to this problem.

Thank you!

Regards,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I once had a job which generated a 100 MB job log because of an error and BE was unable to display the job log.

To view humungous job logs, check the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data directory.  You should see a lot of XML files.   These are your job logs.  The one with the timestamp closest to your job is the job log for your job.  You can load this file into a text editor which can handle files bigger than 32k and scroll to the end.  You should be able to make out what the error is and correct that.

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks pkh for your reply.

I've checked the job logs XML files and they're all between 300KB - 400KB each. It's basically the same text only version you see from the job monitor and there are no errors explaining why we cannot see our XML job logs properly.
It doesn't seem to be related to the job logs themselves as several people have mentioned.

We still haven't found a resolution to this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Reading your original post, you got an illegal XML character in your job log.  Drag and drop the job log XML file into a web browser and see what happens.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,
Uninstall and reinstall MSXML , this is the issue with XML Parser

Dev_T
Level 6
Any news here?

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks for your reply, it's hard to find your own post back if you haven't checked for several post as the form doesn't keep your posts on top.
Anyways, I am looking for a best "how to" do this uninstall and reinstall of MSXML on our 2003 server. 
Would this have any affect on it's production as it's also a Domain controller and Exchange.

Thank you!

Regards,

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean? Isn't that the same as opening the log file from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data which then opens in in IE? Or is there a different way to test this?

Thanks

Regards,

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Has anyone found a working solution to this problem yet??

Regards,