cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d questions

Tony_H
Not applicable
Hi guys and gals,

We're about to upgrade our backup systems to BE 10d but before we do, I have a few questions. I've been reading around the site and BE 10 seems great.

This is our scenario.

We have a main site which is running backup's to tape today. Everyday we take tapes with us home just in case something happens to the mail site (ie. big fire destroys everything). This is not fun since someone always has to come to the office on the weekends just to switch tapes and take another one home. The critical data that needs to be outside the main site is running on MSSQL 7 on a clustered WinNT 4 platform.

My plan is this:

Purchase BE 10d and a new backup-server to go with it. Make CPS disk-based backups on the main site of all critical data. Have BE 10d somehow replicate the backups to an off-site location through a WAN-link preferably using CPS here too to avoid large dumps.

Is that possible? Could we maybe move the tape-drives to an off-site location and have the BE 10d CPS replicate there continuously? or something similar.

My other question is of course if the remote agent that needs to be installed can be installed on WinNT 4 ? MSSQL 7 should be fine according to the docs. but I'm not sure about installing the client on NT4 ?

Thanks in advanced everybody! I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Tony H
1 REPLY 1

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

NT 4.0 is not supported with CPS 10d..

MSSQL 7.0 is supported with Backup Exec 10d...

"urchase BE 10d and a new backup-server to go with it. Make CPS disk-based backups on the main site of all critical data. Have BE 10d somehow replicate the backups to an off-site location through a WAN-link preferably using CPS here too to avoid large dumps"

The above can attained by backing up simply the CPS data with Backup Exec to tape...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.