cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d, restore single outlook contact from Exch03

GJL_Support
Level 2

I'm attempting to restore a single contact from a users mailbox but when I drill down to Top of Information Store > Contacts, it says none.  I've verified that the full backup has his contact folder chosen in the selection list.  How can restore just a single contact?  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Are you using Brick-level backups or GRT? If GRT, then this should be available. That said, are you using Advanced Open File Option in your backup job, which if Yes, could interfere with restores.

I would recommend staging the backup to disk manually via duplicate job, and then try the restore from there.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

GRT was new in Backup Exec 11D and as such would not have been available for a 10D backup.

10D had 2 choices for how to backup Exchange

- Information Store Only - required to Disaster Recover Exchange, this type could be used with a Recovery Storage Group (I believe) but only as long as Snapshot backups were not enabled

- Brick Level Backup - which backs up individual mailboxes in a waty that allows them to be restored but cannot be used to DR the whole Exchnage database. This type of backup was very very slow and may have had limitations on exactly what you could restore inside a mailbox (it is so long ago that we supported this form of backup that the specifics of the restorable objects are not really available.)

In reality you kind of had to do both backup types as if you only did an information store backup you have to bring back the whole of the info store as a DR process (or use a recovery Storage Group) to get an one e-mail and if you only do a brick level back you have to do a lot of work in the event of complete failure of the Exchange database 

Are you sure you are using 10D as I have concerns based on your description?

GJL_Support
Level 2

Yes, we are on 10d.  Exact version is 10.1 Rev 5629.

I'm backing up both ways, information store and individual mailbox.  And since I am backing up brick level, why does it say none when I try to restore his single contact.  I see his inbox just fine, just can't see any contacts because it says none.

When I go into the backup job and drill down to his contacts, I see all of his current ones in there.

Please advise.