cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d + robotic library

Information_Sys
Level 3
Hi guys, here is my situation

we just bought a robotic library, 30 tapes lto3 with bar codes and 2 IBM tape drives.  My question is :
How can I ask Veritas BE 10d to always insert the same 2 tapes barcoded 00001L3 and 00002L3 every monday at 11:00 pm, then on tuesday load 00003L3 and 00004L3 at 11 PM and so on for every other days.

I looked into BE 10d and the only thing I found is to set a backup job to use a specific tape drive but cannot choose which tape media to load according to job settings.

also I got this message in the alerts : "This server is licensed to support 1 tape drive in the robotic libraries."
now if we get this additional license, will the feature that I am looking for become available ?

thank you
10 REPLIES 10

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
Create partitions in the robotic library, and tell the jobs to use the specific partition.

JZ

Information_Sys
Level 3
Ok but in my case, I will run 2 different backup job simultaneusly every day and by creating partitions of 2 tapes, I cannot specify that
BACKUP JOB 1 takes TAPE 00001L3 in DRIVE 1 on MONDAY 400 Gb capacity native and
BACKUP JOB 2 takes TAPE 00002L3 in DRIVE 2 on MONDAY 400 Gb capacity native
and so on

I dont want to use
BACKUP JOB 1 takes partition 1 (2 tapes loaded in 2 drives) for a total of 800 Gb native

is that what you mean ?

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
Create partitions with one slot in them.

BackUpJob_01(MondayA) uses partition1(slot1)
BackUpJob_02(MondayB) uses partition2(slot2)
BackUpJob_03(TuesdayA) uses partition3(slot3)
... and so on.

NVTUSER
Level 3
create a media set for each day containing the tapes you want ? Point backup toward device / media set required ?would be long-winded but should work .

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
Media sets only specify append and overwrite protection periods. BExec will move tapes around in media sets if neccesary.

JZ

NVTUSER
Level 3
will it move tapes between media sets ? I thought if he created Media set 1 (two tapes in it ) for Monday , the Monday backup job would always use the same tapes ?

Problem would be a different job every day of the week . Have never used the partition method , will bow to your superior knowledge on that one ......;-)

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
It will defintley move tapes between media sets. I found out the hard way =)

Setting up jobs for each day of the week is fairly simple. Create a policy with templates under it for each day of the week. Create selection lists, and assign the policy to them. It will create a job for each day of the week. The policy/selection list syetem is pretty darn slick once you get it all figured out.

JZ

Information_Sys
Level 3
thank you Jon, we just tested your 1 tape per partition and it works the way I want

good job you rock

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
My pleasure!

JZ

NVTUSER
Level 3
if you can solve my ADAMM error thread I'll be even nicer !