cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d to 12.5-Now HP UPS not communicating.

Henry_Etteldorf
Level 2

Last week I did an update from 10d to 11 to 12.5.   Sometime during the update I noticed the backup server and RAWS client will no longer communicate with my HP R3000 UPS via COM1.    My sole remaining NT box (which didn't get updated) is communicating fine.

I have tried
shutting down the remote client software
installing the updated HP agent.
reconfiguring the HP agent.
tweaking the COM1 settings to match the working NT system
removing the COM1 port, restarting and redetecting the port.  
Still can't detect the UPS on COM1.

Any ideas what to test next?

6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6
 So you're saying that, by upgrading your BE installation, you can no longer communicate to a UPS via it's serial connection?

If so, I would contact HP for some ideas on troubleshooting this.  More than likely this is out of scope on a BackupExec forum that has really nothing to do with a UPS.  

On a side note, you could try hyperterm and see if you can get into the UPS...  If that works, then communication is established, and it has to be an application issue or conflict.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Henry,

THe only thing I can think of would be a clash between ports. RAWS uses port 10000, and maybe the HP UPS software uses the same port.
Run a netstat and see if there is a clash or not. If so, then follow the tech article below to change the port:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255174.htm

Laters!

Henry_Etteldorf
Level 2
I am able to connect to the web interface.   That is how I can see the fault - the UPS is not communicating.   I am pretty sure the problem is that BE has taken over COM1.   Either changed the driver or opens exclusive communications to COM1 before the HP stuff can.    I did install Symantec drivers and think they are causing the conflict.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...weird one. I doubt that BEWS will grab any comms ports that are open for exclusive use by the software...that would mean a lot more issues for people on their servers.
Perhaps look at any hardware issues on that server that might have cropped up as a coincidence when you upgraded the software.

Henry_Etteldorf
Level 2

I did remove the remote agent and still had the problems, so I think the upgrade was coincidental to the problem.

Currently looking at possibility that all that restart of the server UPS agent while running multiple updates may have caused a comm problem.   Obvious solution is to restart the UPS,  of coures I can't down the servers until the weekend.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Have you tried HyperTerm?  Eliminate all the HP software from the mix, and use Native MS Software...  If you can hyperterm in, it's a software issue on the HP side.

If you cant get into that, sometime you can reseat the Comm card in a UPS, I'm not familiar with yours, but in APC models you can.  When you reseat a card, it reinitializes the card's IP stack and such, so you can regain connectivity.

Frankly BE has nothing to do with a COM port at all.  You cant send SCSI commands via a COM port, so BE has no business being there.