cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d wont create media on tape in a msl2024(LTO960) - how do I procede?

Perry_Hackshaw_
Not applicable
I have created daily/weekly and monthly tape media for a gf/fthr/son rotation.
There are overwritable tapes in the drives in the msl2024.
The jobs for these are all policy created using the wizards and the daily/weekly and monthly back up to disk work fine, just not the duplicate to tape.

I get an alert which says please insert overwritable media into drive - hp1 which is the msl2024.

What can I do next?

regards,

Perry Hackshaw.
4 REPLIES 4

Perry_Hackshaw
Level 3
I should add that I have 6 jobs and 6 lots of media per job e.g. Daily, Weekly and Monthly disk to disk media and daily, weekly and monthly tape media for copying disk media to tape.
Each job is policy driven and has its own media assigned in the job itself.
Disk and tape Media set properties:
Daily -- Weekly -- monthly
Overwrite 1 week 5 weeks 1 year
Append 1 week 5 weeks 1 year

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you label tapes and place them in the target media sets?

If so, they will not be Overwriteable until the OPP has expired, since when you moved them into the media set, they immediately took on all porperties of the media set as of that time (OPP and APP included)

Until you have cycled through all your tapes one time, run an inventory, and any tapes the are not displayed in BLUE will need to be re-labeled or moved to the scratch media set before use. BackupExec will move them to the Target media set(s) when the job runs.

If you are using an autoloader, and want to prevent BackupExec from using a daily tape for a weekly job, you can partition the loader, and edit your jobs so that they point to the appropriate partition rather than "All Pools"

Perry_Hackshaw
Level 3
I think one of the problems may be Im not seeing any tapes at the BE level. If I look at the home page of the device I can see 6 tapes in slots 12345 and 6 but in the device in BE I dont see any tapes or scratch media relevent to date and time I have inserted the tapes.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Perry!

Once you manually put the tapes into the library, the library needs to be inventoried so that the current information about the tapes in the library is shown in BE!

Also before you run your duplicate backups, make sure that your tapes belong to the scratch media set and are marked blue which means they are overwritable!
Do not preassign the tapes to any of your media sets before the tape is actually used / overwritten by a backup.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.